Our mission

Tell me what you learned at the meeting, please.

Lyn

I put this here because it gets more traffic, and I really want some input.

Please tell me what you learned at the meeting with Charles Delbeek. I REALLY wanted to go, but had a wedding to attend out of state. I am dying, not knowing all the pearls of wisdom you garnered from him. Please enlighten me!!! Tell me at least one thing you learned. PLEASE! :D

I learned that the SPS coral Montipora is really pronounced Mon-tipora not Monti-pora (I know big news but everyone pronounces it wrong so then did I) I learned that Charles just had a baby 6 months ago, he was lead designer of the Aquarium and runs the entire Academy and is not allowed to change a light bulb without the written and verbal consent of the other departments. :D

That was the other one I couldn't remember! Yea if it came from charles mouth..................See I can call him Charles now that were buds.................thats how it's pronounced.

I learned that the famous blue acro always looks purple in pics. Then I learned that fragging a scoly (with the right tools) is nowhere near as traumatic as I thought it would be.

cross poster!!!! Pick a forum or link your threads :p

Just a FYI, I've heard scientists pronounce the latin coral names in like 3 different ways and all where highly accredited coral researchers. It kinda depends from which country they came from ;)

GreshamH said:
cross poster!!!! Pick a forum or link your threads :p

Just a FYI, I've heard scientists pronounce the latin coral names in like 3 different ways and all where highly accredited coral researchers. It kinda depends from which country they came from ;)

That is my understanding as well, there's more than one way to properly pronounce Acro and Monti, like tomato, or tomato :bigsmile:

po-ta-toes.gif

Sorry Gresham,

Don't know how to link the threads. Does one of the Admins need to do that?

I believe latin pronunciations depend on the latin root words that make up the final word. I believe that the vowels are pure and pronounced similar to Pacific Island or Japanese languages. It was one of the things I could do fairly well in my Zoo courses since I grew up in Hawaii and had a Japanese grandmother living in our house. :) I think the way we have been saying A-cro-po-ra is correct. :) It is latin, after all. See below:

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Introductio/Pronunciatio.html

Hmmm...I learned that there are 4 different latin pronunciations, but "english" latin is now used

http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/latinpro.pdf

I learned that you can ship SPS using a dry method (not really DRY but not submerged in water) if the whole trip isn't going to take longer then 16 hours.

I learned that we will never get a permit to bring coral back from vacation ( other countries) we need exporter contacts.

Lyn said:
Sorry Gresham,

Don't know how to link the threads. Does one of the Admins need to do that?

I believe latin pronunciations depend on the latin root words that make up the final word. I believe that the vowels are pure and pronounced similar to Pacific Island or Japanese languages. It was one of the things I could do fairly well in my Zoo courses since I grew up in Hawaii and had a Japanese grandmother living in our house. :) I think the way we have been saying A-cro-po-ra is correct. :) It is latin, after all. See below:

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Introductio/Pronunciatio.html

Hmmm...I learned that there are 4 different latin pronunciations, but "english" latin is now used

http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/latinpro.pdf

It's kinda useless IMO. I call it how I think it should sound. Get a scientist from the EU, Australia, America and Japan and you will hear 4 ways to say Acropora :lol: All highly trained coral researchers at that!

Yes, you are right Gresham. It would be the same as trying to make Brits pronounce "english" like Americans and vice versa. :) Plus, just because one is an educated scientist doesn't mean one studied spoken Latin. Kinda like how in China, most everyone can read written Chinese, but there are a 1000 dialects. :)

Or the way the English pronounce words with an "A" on the end like pizza, they pronounce it peet-zer, I mean I guess it is their language, but where the heck did the "R" come from :quest:

Or how the "R" is elliminated by Bostonians who want to "Pahk the Caah" ;) No wonder non-native speakers have such a hard time... LOL

BTW, my mother-in-law adds "r" to "warsh" the dishes and likes to eat "squarsh". :D

I will still, and always will, pronounces the abbreviated form of zoanthid (zoa) as "zoo" :p

But my dad's originally from Washington (before Microsoft came to town :D) and he warshes for dinner.

My mom also used to make me sangwiches for lunch :D

Back