got ethical husbandry?

Think there's anyway....

I agree. I tried it in my 250, and the amount of detritus that settles on it is disturbing. Plus if you bump it it’ll cloud up your whole tank. just seemed counterproductive but maybe I didn’t give it long enough (5 months)

I’m not a miracle mud user and scientifically (and logically) it doesn’t make sense to me how it replenishes trace elements for an entire year (the amount of time they say to replace half of it), but hard to argue with this Sacramento guy’s results.

Why you so adamant against it @Coral reefer?

Last edited:
I’m not a miracle mud user and scientifically (and logically) it doesn’t make sense to me how it replenishes trace elements for an entire year the amount of time they say to replace half of it), but hard to argue with this Sacramento guy’s results.

do you use it?

I’m not a miracle mud user and scientifically (and logically) it doesn’t make sense to me how it replenishes trace elements for an entire year the amount of time they say to replace half of it), but hard to argue with this Sacramento guy’s results.

I suppose it could work, if you did it just right, but I don’t even use Refugio’s. I’m with you in that it Doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve never seen any real evidence that it does anything good. There are plenty of easy and way less messy ways to deal with trace elements like changing water or dosing that I much prefer to employ.
I’m also with Chris, it’s messy as hell.
I find it to be a gimmick. The only guy I’ve ever seen tout it was the owner of a store that was a super shady guy I didn’t trust at all and was all about selling things to people that would pay for them wether it was gonna help them or their animals at all back when I lived in Santa Barbara a long time ago.
I mean the name just seems like a red flag to me. Like when the subject line of an email says this is NOT fake news.

Yeah -- Rob swears by it, and lord knows he's among the most successful reefers I know. He was also my real estate agent and helped move my tank in. :)

Yeah -- Rob swears by it, and lord knows he's among the most successful reefers I know. He was also my real estate agent and helped move my tank in. :)
Not saying that guy doesn’t know what he’s doing, but if he claimed that picking his nose before testing phosphates works for him I wouldn’t believe that was why it works for him. Not saying I wouldn’t do it (fine I do that already), but just hard to say that because he has a nice tank and uses the mud that it actually does anything positive. I’d much rather spend my money I something that I know works like a box of salt.

I have had zero luck with macros in fuge when running algae scrubber.
However, you can technically make an algae scrubber in a fuge.
Same screen. Same lights.
But in the fuge, so light spills everywhere.
You should get quite a bit of random algae all over. And thus make pods and such quite happy,

Btw I wasn't advocating nor considering using Miracle Mud. Just thought it was an interesting question as we were talking about Cryptic Fuges. Also, I've spent a lot of time at Robert's looking at his tanks over the last five years, and they are incredible, but there's a lot of stuff that works for him that I have never found useful. He swears by Miracle Mud, but he's also on old school reefer that's had SW tanks over 20 years, and sticks with what has worked most of that time in some cases. I'm not sure Miracle Mud doesn anything more than what having a DSB in your fuge would do -- and that wouldn't have to be replaced every year.

if you're just aiming to grow pods and micro fauna, then just plumb a small rubble filled tank into the system
I would use a small sicce and a 5 or 10 gal tank that overflows, at best directly into the display, if not back to the sump

Just a thought

if you're just aiming to grow pods and micro fauna, then just plumb a small rubble filled tank into the system
I would use a small sicce and a 5 or 10 gal tank that overflows, at best directly into the display, if not back to the sump

Just a thought

Really no room to plumb anything else into this system. I did consider it. However, I can use a chamber just for rubble. I do worry there's too much flow though through it is all.

You know what also makes a great home for copepods? Anything and everything where fish can’t reach them. If you keep 1000 wrasses in your tank you might have to provide a few more unreachable-by-fish habitats...

I’m using 45 MarinePure biocubes in a converted ATO tank. I seeded it with Algae Barn pods. They show up time to time in my scope. I've been warned I’ve built a detritus trap. Not concerned yet. it’s a relatively new tank and I'm still trying to get N and P up. One day I'll deconstruct it photograph what's found.

Here are some pics using a USB magnifying scope. It's quite a cavernous environment, from this perspective.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 9.29.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 9.30.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 9.30.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 9.36.23 PM.png

I ran the numbers and these 45 cubes have the surface area of two ice hockey rinks. Pretty incredible!

Proof:
Total cubes: 45
Single 2” Marine Pure ceramic cube has 720 sq ft surface area.
45 cubes x 720 ft2 = 32,400 sq ft of surface area.
The total area of a NHL ice hockey rink is 16,327 sq ft.

Back