Cali Kid Corals

Thoughts on Sumps, Bashsea?

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
I am looking at sumps for the new system. Bashsea makes a 48" x 18" which would fit pretty well under my stand.

Anyone ever use a Bashsea sump? Thoughts on build quality?

I have a 60” bashsea sump. I don’t know why these things are close to $1k…a couple holes for dosing tubes and some logos etched on are not worth it, IMO.

I’d just use like a 40 breeder or something if I could go back and do it again. The build quality is ok, I, guess, to answer your question. Acrylic surprisingly thin.

EDIT - The 60" version of the sump I got is now $1,350 at SA.com o_O No way I would pay that much for this sump.

Last edited:
I have a 60” bashsea sump. I don’t know why these things are close to $1k…a couple holes for dosing tubes and some logos etched on are not worth it, IMO.

I’d just use like a 40 breeder or something if I could go back and do it again. The build quality is ok, I, guess, to answer your question. Acrylic surprisingly thin.

Oh that sucks. They used to be pretty beefy.

An acrylic aquarium that is 75 gallons is $1000. I'm tempted to get a 75 aqueon for $250, but I know I'd always worry about breaking it.

Advanced acrylics makes the fancier ones for $1800

An acrylic aquarium that is 75 gallons is $1000. I'm tempted to get a 75 aqueon for $250, but I know I'd always worry about breaking it.

Man. I just practically gave away an 80 gallon sump.

Return section is too small for two pumps. Most sumps are overpriced.

The Bashsea return chamber is indeed pretty small for two pumps. I can barely fit a Varios4 + Varios2 in my 60”.

Consider talking to John at AA about doing a custom sump, or even just one of their basic sumps sized up. It’ll be a lot cheaper and as good or better build quality than a Bashsea, likely. I think all the features on the fancy sumps are overrated.

I used AA for my last sump (smaller, more basic) as well as my current tank (custom, 6ft) and felt like the prices were pretty good. But there is certainly value in just being able to throw something in your shopping cart and checkout, too.

Thick acrylic is expensive. Time is really expensive.

However, my take is I the cost people are paying on these sumps, and even more ATO reservoirs, is absolutely insane. Usually buying tools means paying more, but feels like buying a good saw and clamps might save money on these things.

I recently switched to using 20 gallon Petco aquariums as my RODI reservoir and my saltwater mixing tank. Doesn't leach chemicals. I can see into it and know how much is in it. I can put one of those cheap stickers temp gauges on it. Trivial to acquire. Super super happy with the change.

Anyway, fun project version of buy tools and DIY. The other ones seem fine too, though I like the idea of more separate chambers, and I feel at that price it should have to whiz-bang feature compatibility such as being designed for rollers versus socks.

I am looking at sumps for the new system. Bashsea makes a 48" x 18" which would fit pretty well under my stand.

Anyone ever use a Bashsea sump? Thoughts on build quality?
I have Bashsea components under my tank. The first sump I ordered had a hairline crack and leaked, had it swapped out with no problems. I do believe the sump could be better built for the price. I chose this sump because the dimensions were perfect for my application. The protein skimmer is a powerhouse and is very well made. Overall I’m happy with my filtration set up with limited space. I attached a couple photos

Feel free to call the store I’m happy to order something for you. I also think I may have a used 48” sump if you still looking.

Happy reefing

Nick

71857151367__DB358119-5C8B-49BF-94A7-044767C1E472.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg
71857160120__8066F478-867F-4493-BA90-CED32E472A2C.jpeg

The inside of the stand is 21", so I was going for as close to 20" wide as possible.

I was thinking of using 48" long since that's a standard size and leaves room for dosing setup.

I figure the taller the better.

Back