Neptune Aquatics

Time to plant tomato(e)s !! Woo! (And other less exciting veggies)

LOL.. It's one of those Vietnamese thing... LOL

Nobody in VN, that I know, eats artichokes. I actually do eat the one in the bottle but not the fresh cook one.

Try it sometimes. Just cook it until the water turn green and the artichoke really soft. You have to use rock sugar not the regular one. Best when you drink it cold.

At first I thought "Weird! Sweet artichoke drink!" Then I realized that I've been drinking a lot of soy milk lately (one of my daughters is allergic to cow's milk, so I bought a soymilk making machine (by hand is soooo labour intensive, and store bought is laden with weird thickening crap)).

When I make the soymilk, it's basically just ground up soy beans in water, cooked...ie; bean juice! I sweeten it a touch with sugar and salt. So artichoke juice might be tasty! I tell you, it takes a while to get used to regular soymilk again. I drank it as a kid, it's watery and ... beany, not like the vanilla "Silk" soymilk you get in stores. And yes, I know that many (probably Diary Council sponsored) researchers are saying that soy isn't good for you...

Oh anyway, back on topic, my wife has requested that I plant one earthbox with green peppers! I went to OSH (which has a buy one get one free veggie plant deal on this weekend, btw) and realized that just buying seedlings is probably a better strategy than planting seeds at home. Seriously, a 6 pack of pepper seedlings was $2.70. Even medium sized seedlings (of tomatoes, etc) are just $1.39. Sheesh! Oh well, I wanted the "FULL EXPERIENCE" So I planted seeds (which aren't even as robust as the store bought!). I was afaid that the nurseries wouldn't have as much variety as available as seeds, but the only variety that I planted that they weren't selling was "Brandywine" heirlooms.

Well, next year I'll do it the easy way!

V

I think it is great to plant from seed. You have to be a little more patient, though. You can start your seeds early, in the house, near a bright window. That way you'll have plants to put in your box when the weather warms. You can also save your excess seeds in the refrigerator or freezer to plant again next year, and maybe even the next. :)

I really miss gardening, can you tell? We used to have a LARGE garden with potatoes, asparagus, corn, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, kale, pea pods, spinach, parsely, tomatoes, pumpkins, etc. I used to have a flower garden too, but that was when we had acreage, many moons ago...sigh... I really miss it.

Now I just "garden" in my tanks. :)

I just planted two strawberry pots with 24 strawberry plants. Some already have blossoms! Yeah, I know, conventional wisdom is to cut off the blossoms so that the plant is stronger and you get more/better berries later. I can't get myself to do it!

V

Gomer said:
be jealous!

This place is a few miles from my house
http://www.aldenlane.com/

OK, I think I will need to visit this place. I've always thought it would be fun to have a landscaped edible garden.

Livermore isn't too far away. One of these weekends....

Vincerama2 said:
I just planted two strawberry pots with 24 strawberry plants. Some already have blossoms! Yeah, I know, conventional wisdom is to cut off the blossoms so that the plant is stronger and you get more/better berries later. I can't get myself to do it!

V

I have very fond memories of strawberry plants. My son, who was just a little guy at the time, LOVED strawberries. We had some plants in boxes on our balcony/deck. He would ask to eat them everyday, but they were not quite ripe. One day, I watched as he snuck outside to pick them and eat them... sour I'm sure, but he never said anything and neither did I. ;)

Elite said:
LOL.. It's one of those Vietnamese thing... LOL

Nobody in VN, that I know, eats artichokes. I actually do eat the one in the bottle but not the fresh cook one.

Try it sometimes. Just cook it until the water turn green and the artichoke really soft. You have to use rock sugar not the regular one. Best when you drink it cold.

You haven't seen my 7 yrs old daughter eating artichokes...she can easily take two big one.

Back