Cali Kid Corals

Transporting Corals from Vegas to San Jose

Hi Anyone know if its okay for me to buy a few corals in Las Vegas and bring them on the plane with me? Is it legal? I talking about a few corals only.

Anyone experienced in this?

i doubt you'll get on the plane with them as far as carry on goes. Id call who ever you are flying with to confirm. What store are you planning to see? I lived there for quite awhile

Calling does no good as I pointed out it pretty much depends on the call of the person at the counter. The airline will give you mixed singles at all levels. I've flown with coral on nearly every airline. I also know people that have been allowed to carry on. Again, it depends on the agent checking your luggage. The worst that can happen is they say it must go air cargo, which unless you are a known shipper, is unusable by you :(

BAYMAC said:
Calling does no good as I pointed out it pretty much depends on the call of the person at the counter. The airline will give you mixed singles at all levels. I've flown with coral on nearly every airline. I also know people that have been allowed to carry on. Again, it depends on the agent checking your luggage. The worst that can happen is they say it must go air cargo, which unless you are a known shipper, is unusable by you :(

Uh, so that post was from my laptop... I just got back to my desktop and OOOOOPS... I never posted my post from it :(

Here is my first post that did not get posted
Yes an no

TSA says you cannot carry it on (water volume) unless under 3oz, beyond that, its up the each airline and trust me, airline employees all have their own opinion.

I've been doing it for years and never had trouble, but my approach to them is not one you can take (I'm a known shipper, been shipping livestock for years, have a TSA# and am in the business).

What I do is curbside check-in. Bring the box un-taped and be upfront with them at the get go. I explain I've been doing this for years, show them my business card and then tape it up for them.

My friends have reported a lot of success with simply putting them in multiple bags and sticking them in with their clothes. If you go that route, I suggest leaving a note in your suitcase tape to them explaining what they are and that they are 100% legal.

Tal Sweet's article about bringing fish on a plane in RHM has some good TSA resources, but it makes more sense to put the corals in checked luggage. Good advice has already been posted by experienced flyers - overall there are not enough passengers carrying corals for regulations to be in place, compared to what "normal" passengers typically check in, so YMMV. ;) Personally I've only done this once on a flight up from San Diego, stuffing double-bagged corals in checked luggage, and encountered no problems.

Best of luck!

Back