Kessil

Trident Test A Fail Question

Alexx

Supporting Member
So I don't understand what is wrong with my trident. I just calibrated the trident with the regular solution at 8.3 ALK and after the calibration,
1) I set up the regular testing and I am getting this error Test A Fail.
2) I did reset and reprime the lines and did another Alkalinity test and I am getting the same issue.
3) Then what I did I did a combined test with the calibration solution and I was getting the Alk Value at 8.33ppm so is good.
4) Then I did another alkalinity test with the regular tank water and I got the same error Test A Fail.

I have no idea what is going on. The test is working but is not working with my regular water.

I did a Salifer Alk test and my Alk came up to be 6.1ppm.

Not sure what is going on. Do you guys think because the value between 8.3 and 6.1 is too high my Alk test is failing?
Or maybe I have some chemical in my tank water that is affecting the chemical composition?
What could I do at this point?

Another strange thing happening. You can see my trident readings.
Before my trident was recording my ALK; before changing the Alk test fluid and before calibration was 11ppm - 10.5ppm. Is supper strange my trident was testing the 11ppm to 10.4ppm range before and I stopped dosing alkalinity for the past 4 days and has the same range reading as I was dosing regularly. I am usually dosing ALK 110 ml/day of BRS Alk. That is why my alk dropped to 6.1ppm because I stopped the dosing trying to figure out the Tridend Alk Testing. How is possible for the Trident Alk reading to fluctuate so high up (The tests were done before September 11) if I was not dosing any alkalinity to my 150gallon system? I have a mixed reef full of corals.
I posted picture with the Alk reading and my system you can see is full of corals.
Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 11.39.18 PM.pngIMG_7677.jpgIMG_7678.jpgIMG_7679.jpg

Last edited:
Mostly importantly- You should not stop dosing while you are figuring this out! You need to start dosing again your normal amount right away, manually testing daily or whenever with Salifert. Of all the things you mentioned, that is the scary part for me.

When you say ppm for alk I assume you mean dKH? Alk can be reported as ppm (it‘s actually better and that’s what scientists use) but not what we normally use because the hobby likes to do things the hard way. The ppm is 17.9 times higher than the dKH.

Not exactly your issue but lots of helpful suggestions to consider about Test A Fail here:

Since you report it’s working on the calibration sample but not your tank, I would guess when you put your sample tubing in your tank it isn’t able to suck up water for some reason. Maybe water level low in return chamber, tubing getting caught on something and not in the water, screw to hold tubing blocking it, debris block it. I don’t know just throwing out random guesses. Maybe to test, take some tank water out into a little container where you can see it better and run a test on that.

Having a large difference between your current alk and the last reading doesn’t cause a Test A Fail as far as I know.

If it’s none of those things, I recommend contacting Neptune Support, they are pretty great.

Back