Neptune Aquatics

underwater transparent spiders all over dead sps. WTF is it

JRocha

Supporting Member
I was removing all the dead snails and dead frags and when I pulled out a dead sps frag plug there was over 10 tiny transparent spiders all over it. they are about the size of a small pinhead. are they bad? I have never seen anything like it. they have 8 legs and walk like a spider. I have no idea where they came from and if they eat coral. does anybody have any ideas?

406f93a6ad85d1364a735b585bfe3cc4aaace506_m.jpg

JRocha said:
I was removing all the dead snails and dead frags and when I pulled out a dead sps frag plug there was over 10 tiny transparent spiders all over it. they are about the size of a small pinhead. are they bad? I have never seen anything like it. they have 8 legs and walk like a spider. I have no idea where they came from and if they eat coral. does anybody have any ideas?

There is a clue here.
Your dead for sure.
Don't worry though... I'm sure some of us can take some of your stuff before your gone.
I figure you have around 24 hours.

JAR said:
JRocha said:

There is a clue here.
Your dead for sure.
Don't worry though... I'm sure some of us can take some of your stuff before your gone.
I figure you have around 24 hours.

Nice. I was getting a chalice frag that fell through some rocks and I found the sps frag and a couple snail shells so I was removing them. I found the little guys and figured I try to find out what they were, but I will see if I keep finding them. So far all my other corals are doing just fine. So we'll see what happens now that I know they are there.

Crabby said:
Try searching "pycnogonids". These are sea spiders ( not really Arachnida. )
That looks exaclty like what I found just the really small version and different color. maybe this explains the random snail death, since they can eat small inverts. I wonder what wrasse hunts these down. thanks

Back