Reef nutrition

UPS(s) ? Anyone use them?

Deltec? Not B but maybe?

I have a small Deltec which didn't do much when power went out running pumps on AC, Alarm would come on and power shut down.
iCon if you have DC pumps, Costco has online a solar panel that can maintain charge on an automotive/marine battery; is not small nor huge but might provide peace of mind. Solar panel on the roof, battery crawl space and wall fish the connection for the back-up power supply.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11298029&search=solar&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001192&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=solar&Ntt=solar&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11313627&search=solar&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001192&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=solar&Ntt=solar&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

Liebert's home UPS only use stepped sine wave. So APC's are better :*

http://www.liebert.com/product_pages/ProductTechnical.aspx?id=249&hz=60

Who said anything about "home" models, I surely did not. Try looking at other models ;) I rarely by low end anything :lol:

Back when I was looking APC only had one model that was "true" and Liebert was the leader, who had numerous "online true sine wave" units.

I've never liked APC, my company owns ~40 of their units + ~100 batteries for them.

GreshamH said:
Who said anything about "home" models, I surely did not. Try looking at other models ;) I rarely by low end anything :lol:

Back when I was looking APC only had one model that was "true" and Liebert was the leader, who had numerous "online true sine wave" units.

I've never liked APC, my company owns ~40 of their units + ~100 batteries for them.

Riiiiiight

Mario the recall was only on the cables that connect the battery to the vortech. I just contacted ecotech about 2 of my newish battery backups. They got 4 cables out to me in ~4days.

r0ck0 said:
GreshamH said:

Riiiiiight

Umm ya OK, what ever (insert roll eyes here).

Thanks for reminding me why I prefer NOT to engage with you.

The "recall" for vortech had to do with the size of the wire in the cables, which was a tad undersized.. put the wire in your tank and it can double as a heater if you're concerned :D

Look at Newegg
You can get a 550W, (80 WH), pure sine wave from cyberPower for only $190.
And they have lots more.

Also, some of them run off standard 12V batteries, so not impossible to DIY upgrade with some car batteries.

And beyond a certain size, likely best to buy separate controller (charger/inverter/switch) and batteries.

BTW: It is pretty pointless to have a system that is not 100% automatic. And automatic generators are costly.
When at home, you can use a paddle, heat tank water on a camp stove, and other manual things.
So it really only matters when you are gone or asleep.

rygh said:
BTW: It is pretty pointless to have a system that is not 100% automatic. And automatic generators are costly.
When at home, you can use a paddle, heat tank water on a camp stove, and other manual things.
So it really only matters when you are gone or asleep.

post of the day for sure :) I 100% agree :D

When my crackhead neighbors burned their house down, I lost power for nearly a day straight. heat wasn't an issue given the time of year so I purely concentrated on the DO issue... I simply used a cup to drop water into the tank and get movement. It kept my DO at acceptable levels and nothing but a little coraline died.

Ian I was referring to the cable issue; got the cables in less than a week and have to be honest, did not destroy the old ones but not using them anymore.

sfsuphysics said:
iani said:
New cable has a fuse in it. Its not about wire size.
Oh? Hmm I seem to recall that as well. Seems silly, I guess to protect the controller if the battery majorly malfunctions and pushes too much juice.

Sometimes its cheaper to simply recall then to defend yourself against lawsuits. Not saying that is the case, but I have seen it numerous times. Heck the largest sport top cap maker in the US was told by their lawyers that it would cost them less to simply get out of the business then face a possible class action lawsuit if a baby(ies) died as a result of the sport cap top clogging a babies throat.

rygh said:

In general, yes. In my case I need a system to keep the return pump going, not just for the health of the tank, but if it stops the external overflow will break it's syphon and I'll have 30+ gallons of water on the floor when the power returns. In our area it's a given that we'll lose power at least twice during the beginning of the hot season as everyone uses their AC for the first time. This year it was OK 'cause it only happened once and due to unemployment I was home. As the outages are usually never more than 30 min or so I really don't need anything fancy. Note: the outages have been known to happen at night (we have wind up clocks becuase of this or we'd oversleep).

-Gregory

Hmmm

What kind of OF are you using? Does the U-tube just go straight into the display tank itself and drop directly into the sump or does it employee an overflow box?

Back