Cali Kid Corals

Very Puzzling Thing Came Up - Any Ideas?: Stray Voltage

I am not quite sure what's going on but hopefully someone here can help. I just performed a 30 gallon water change on my 100 gallon tank and afterward I put my hand in the tank to grab some Chateo and got a very harsh stinging sensation from the tank on my hand. I am almost confident it was not stinging me prior to me performing the water change. I turned off all the electronics and still felt it so it is not something electrical. In the middle of the water change I caught and removed my foxface from the tank, could it have released its venom? To add to the confusion, I've had 2 other people thus far put their finger in the tank and they do not feel anything at all. I do somewhat bite my nails though so my fingers may just be more tender. I felt my water in my mixing container and felt nothing, so it's just in the tank. Any idea what's going on here? Anything I should do?

Just put my hand in the tank again after writing this and it's not stinging anymore... I have carbon in the tank so maybe that pulled out whatever it was? Still very curious what was going on so curious to hear what people think.

Just put my hand in the tank again after writing this and it's not stinging anymore... I have carbon in the tank so maybe that pulled out whatever it was? Still very curious what was going on so curious to hear what people think.
You jeed to trace it. Ot disappeared doesn't mean its not real.
In the I had a situation where strategic voltage was coming from my mixing (cheap power head inside the mixing station) station which is in the garage through the tubing that I have plumbed from the mixing station, through the wall to the tank.
I was puzzled cause the shock did not come from the tank itself snd when I look and happen to have the water change tubing not inside the tank.

You jeed to trace it. Ot disappeared doesn't mean its not real.
In the I had a situation where strategic voltage was coming from my mixing (cheap power head inside the mixing station) station which is in the garage through the tubing that I have plumbed from the mixing station, through the wall to the tank.
I was puzzled cause the shock did not come from the tank itself snd when I look and happen to have the water change tubing not inside the tank.
I don't think it was an electric shock. I turned off all the equipment and still felt the stinging sensation, additionally two other people did not feel it and I think they would've if it was electrical. I've also stuck my hand in a my mixing container and been shocked before (faulty heater in my mixing bin) and this felt different.

I don't think it was an electric shock. I turned off all the equipment and still felt the stinging sensation, additionally two other people did not feel it and I think they would've if it was electrical. I've also stuck my hand in a my mixing container and been shocked before (faulty heater in my mixing bin) and this felt different.
Strange, I cannot think of any mechanical thing in the tank that would give electric sensation. Anyway glad you and your system is ok.

Also wouldn't an electrical issue show up on my salinity probe from my Apex because that measures conductivity? (could be totally wrong here) Anyways, nothing abnormal on my salinity readings.

Some people are sensitive/allergic to different kinds of corals or tank critters.

This black branching sponge for example feels to me like touching a hot stove where my skin brushes against it, and a friend of mine feels the same shock when putting his hand anywhere in a tank where that sponge has recently been cut or disturbed.

evilsponge.jpg

Some people are sensitive/allergic to different kinds of corals or tank critters.

This black branching sponge for example feels to me like touching a hot stove where my skin brushes against it, and a friend of mine feels the same shock when putting his hand anywhere in a tank where that sponge has recently been cut or disturbed.

View attachment 23003

Ooh. I want a frag of that evil sponge!

Update: I think I determined it's definitely electric... I was wrong. I went to the tank again and felt it again and did some investigating. I can only feel it in certain locations and did find one other person who can slightly feel it. So it must just be grounding. Time to do some investigating...

Super confused here. I only do not feel it when everything is unplugged. My tank uses 2 outlets and if I unplug both outlets I do not feel it, but when either one of them is plugged in I feel it. How could this be? Any ideas here?

Back