Neptune Aquatics

WARNING... Zoa Eating Nudi found

Hey everyone.... At the BOD meeting today I received a few corals via a trade, DBTC and for the Prop Program. After I dipped everything this evening w/ Revive and got them all acclimated to their new home in my frag tank I went back to empty out the containers they came in and found this... Not sure which coral and from whom it came in through but thought I'd give everyone a heads up. If you passed a coral to me today you want to check out your tank for these guys.
3355619174_54a9fa552b_b.jpg

yup.. check this thread.. It's almost the same color. Good thing you have a Qtank though.
http://www.reeferscafe.com/zoanthids/150-zoa-eating-nudibranch-flatworms-eating-wrasses.html

Yes... and No... to be honest I have never QT my corals. I have a 20 QT for any fish that I bring in but I have never done corals. corals I typically just dip for the appropriate amount of time in one product or another and then I take a tooth brush to the plug or rock they came on to make sure it is clean.... after inspecting and I'm satisfied... I acclimate them to my Frag tank... which is tied into my main display.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6854.msg88580#msg88580 date=1237088700]
did you get any zoa? Look more like the zoa eat nudi to me..
[/quote]

+1 that definately is not a monti eating nudi.

Just because the stuff you get isn't a particular species does not mean that creatures can not hitchhike!

+2 on definitely not a montieating nudi, looks like a zoa one.

I'll keep an eye out, but I'm quite confident my tank doesn't have them (Only 2 zoa frags so it would be easy to notice munching..likewise on my caps if a monti nudi)

either way, you just showed how important it is to dip! I've been lucky so far (crosses finger) and haven't had any sustained evidence of the nudies/RB/AEFW since I've been in the hobby.

cute little bugger..... now kindly send him to his other "home" which presides in the toilet down the drain... :)

( At least that I what I tell my fiance)

I actually did a quick test with him... in one cup of SW I added 1 drop of lugols... it took about a minute before it was noticably distressed and started cruzin the cup quickly and another 10 minutes before it died.

Whoever has orange zoas and brought frags should double check their tank for those nudis.

Good chance the nudi has been munching on orange zoas.

No... its definantly the zoa eating nudi...

[quote author=bluetang_2000 link=topic=6854.msg88675#msg88675 date=1237130426]
coud it be the zoa eating spider?

http://melevsreef.com/id/pycnogonid.html

[/quote]

That orange nudi IS a zoanthid eathing nudi.
Check for eggs on the base of the zoanthids/palys. scrape them off and you can also use tweezers to pluck them off. I've heard of zoa folks using FWE against them as well.

Back