Jestersix

Water Storage Containers

patchin

Supporting Member
Need to filter maybe 25 ga of water for a tank move and am wonwering what containers are good and readily available. What to stay away from. Rubbermade garbage cans OK? I need to mix saltwater in it.

I also used the Brute containers until it was suggested that they are not for potable water and leach out phosphates into the water over time. This may not be an issue as I've not confirmed it, however, I DID choose to switch to a real, potable water container. It's 55 gal and made from a potable water compatible material. It was about $50 with $40 shipping for a total of $90. You can buy it from these guys if you have any reservations about the more affordable Rubbermaid Brute series.
http://www.qualservcontainer.com/catalog/i25.html

screebo said:
I also used the Brute containers until it was suggested that they are not for potable water and leach out phosphates into the water over time. This may not be an issue as I've not confirmed it, however, I DID choose to switch to a real, potable water container. It's 55 gal and made from a potable water compatible material. It was about $50 with $40 shipping for a total of $90. You can buy it from these guys if you have any reservations about the more affordable Rubbermaid Brute series.
http://www.qualservcontainer.com/catalog/i25.html

I've used them for years with no detectable PO4 being given off.

That being said, nearly all of mine were pre China move, all are now made in China.

seminolecpa said:
Steve,

I have 5 5G jugs I can loan you if that would be helpful. Could bring to the Dec meeting.
Thanks Bryan, but I need them today. Going to do the tank move Fri morning.
I have a 53 ga glass tank in the garage that I was going to put the contents of the 50 ga tank to be moved into. Does it sound logical to mix the salt water in it. Heat it in the tank. Then right before the move pull about 10 ga out for misc rock rinsing etc and then add the corals to the tank. Sound OK?

Steve,
I still have my older Brute plastic can and lid in great shape. I'm pretty sure it's a 30 gal. I'm in San Carlos and you are welcome to use/have it at no cost if you wish. PM sent with cell phone.

Back