Jestersix

What Controller should I Get?

dzuckerm

Supporting Member
I'm looking to purchase a controller for my 180 gallon mixed reef. I'm currently between the Aquacontroller vs. the Apex units. Anyone have recommendations? I don't travel that much, but like the idea of being able to check my tank's parameters with my iphone. Just not sure its worth all that extra money. thanks guys!

bmhair03 said:
Check out www.reefangel.com . Works awesome!
+1 on that one.
Being able to tweak the source is great.
I am in the progress of building my own, Arduino based, very similar in many ways.
But given how slow everything is going, seriously considering just buying one instead.
If only they had more PWM outputs...

dzuckerm said:
Thanks for the tip. I'm far from being a computer programmer though. Is it relatively easy to set up?

Yes, and since he's local their is a lot of support.

Same with Neptune though, they're local.

I would recommend the Apex or if you are on a budget one of Neptune's lesser models. It has almost everting you need, works great and has moduals for just about anything. I have been using them since they came out.

I have not had much luck with the reef keeper, so would not recommend them.

I have an ACII you can have for a frag. Its old, but practically free in reef currency.

+1 Apex

Curt (Owner?) at Neptune has not complained about my 100 emails at all times of the day. He even responded to one at 11:00p on a Friday! Also, for programming and general ideas, there is a lot of discussions on the web about how to tweak the system.

I have only used the Apex system though, so no comparison.

I've actually been leaning towards the apex system. I'm attracted by the ease to set it up. But i will read a bit more about the other options. thanks everyone!

+1 Angel
Great thing about the REEFANGEL is you can change its setup to any custom requirements you may have. Lighting, wave making etc. Plus you really cant beat the support! Mr NEWHOBBY helped me every step of the way :glasses:

Coral reefer said:
Just out of curiosity did Roberto make reef angel, or just in with the maker and good at programming, and nice enough to help
Everyone?

Roberto = NewHobby = maker

http://www.reefangel.com/Support.Understanding-the-code-structure.ashx

The demo doesnt. If your doing basic coding using if/and/or you should be able to learn the code :) not that i have done any coding kn it yet. Reading it over it does look like I can write new code to add to the demo

I am not a code monkey, so not going to research that. I can only program the logic as a user. Anytime need something complicated on some DDC controller, BMS system, or Lighting Control system I need to phone an engineer. I do know that some processors just can't handle it so no matter what you code, you can't do it.
I am trying to learn the Tridium system but can seam to get past making sure the system is powered on. It is a PITA to have to write a SOC, give it to a programmer then see how it works later, but when they are up all night coding, I am home sleeping.

I would be interested in a cheap controller that has if and or logic support. Been known to steal reef controllers and use them for non reef related projects as they are so cheap and easy to use. Any time I need an if statement, I need to use something more expensive or have my engineers work something up for me. I have only wanted it a few times on my actual reef controllers, but ended of figuring some way around the problem without it, but if I had it I would probably find ways of using it.

Would really like to know if you can do it on this controller. Should be enough software guys around here to answer that question. Please :)

Ehh. Looked at the FAQ and you can still only control 8 outlets. That is really easy to exceed on a large tank.

Back