Reef nutrition

What do you think?

At the end of this year, I am planning to take down my 40g mixed reef tank. In it's place I want to start up a shallow reef/lagoon tank. I figure the tank will be custom made, as will the stand also.
I am looking at a 24"x24"x12" tank, which should come out to be about 30 gallons. Looking a at having it euro-braced with rear corner left over flow (my first plumbed tank!!!).
I don't recall anyone making this dimensions regularly right? So I would need to go custom. Also, I don't want to keep on bending over to have to look into my tank, so I want a higher stand ... say about 3.5' tall.

How large should my sump be?
I plan to get an ER skimmer (or something similar) and a small fuge going in the sump.
For flow, I am thinking of having the return pump tied into a closed loop.

Lighting - probably just a 150w HQI pendant.

I plan to just keep a couple decent sized sps colonies (3-4?) on the rocks, and a clam in the middle of the tank on the substrate. Fish wise, considering a nice wrasse of some sort (love the checkerboard wrasse Nuuze had for sale!), and one other small fish. Very simple tank.

If you have any suggestions, or comments, or anything about this set-up, let me know.
Anyone have any recommendations who I can go through to get the tank and stand made somewhat locally? If it is made on the east coast or something, shipping would totally kick my butt. And also, would anyone happen to know (rough guess) how much a custom tank and stand like the ones I specified above would run me?

Thanks!

I'm thinking you'd want to use a surge devide to get the real lagoon effect, maybe even go with a center overflow with a return in each corner.... that'd be cool or at least sounds cool. :)

I would look into using someone besides truvu. Their build quality is not currently up to par. I would say even WMS is better. For the closest tank to perfect go with Kritter. For an ok tank at a good price go with WMS.

Thanks all ... I will definitely start a build thread when I start it. But this won't be until early next year (hopefully).

Mike,
I stand corrected - I suppose I don't expect to have a tank mimicking a shallow reef/lagoon, but more just a shallow tank (actually, it might be more like a shallow reef than anything). :)

iani,
I was recommended to go through someone named "Gen" from Kritter I think. I've heard some good reviews from this maker.

dswong,
Thanks for the link, but those tanks are much larger than I want to set up. I want something more square. And I've heard some negative things about TruVu when it comes to the quality you get for the price you pay :(

Levi,
I considering a center overflow, but on a small tank like this one, I would prefer on in the rear corner. I only say this because more likely than not, the tank will be more biased towards the corner of a room. A center over flow would obstruct my view portions of the back of the tank, unless viewed from a birds eye view.

Gen should be able to build you a tank of your spec (http://krittertanks.com/). I've met Gen (good guy to work with) - i would build it rim-less though.

Clearly, rimless would look pretty darn hot ;D At what point (tank size/dimensions) would a tank be required to have bracing? I was thinking euro-bracing because it would give me a sense of security, and I personally don't mind euro-bracing too much. I've heard euro-bracing is weaker than conventional bracing [down the middle] - but the latter sure is an eye sore, especially on a tank like this one I am planning.

Thanks for the link to Kritter - I will shoot him an e-mail sometime in the near future to at least get an estimate and a feel for what I am getting myself into :p

At that size it wouldn't be hard to make the tank rimless. Also have you thought about going with a zero edge?

I've thought about Zero Edge, but they sure are pricey aren't they? They don't even post many of their prices online, which kind of scares me :-
Do you think I ought to go with glass instead of acrylic for this type of set up?
I plan to get most of the equipment used (skimmer, pendant, return pump), but the cost of the custom stand, and tank are probably going to be the heavy hitters.

I've exclusively used TruVu in my 11 years of reefkeeping. They make great tanks, are local, and are a fantastic supporter of BAR.

I've also heard good things about Gen's tanks. I believe Kinetic used him for a few tanks.

C

Just thought about it ...
I heard actinics (or something like a real blue, or 14k+ bulb) degrade acrylic, causing it to bow over time ...
fact or fiction? I would hate to have any bowing occur, or even having to replace the tank after a couple years.
Because, if this is indeed the case, glass it is :) Just for my records ... sounds like Gen is the person to go to for a custom acrylic tank, but who do you all recommend for a custom glass tank?

My preference for that size of tank would be glass. There are a few makers AGE and elos are by far the best.
AGE (aquarium glass exhibits)
elos
lemar
miracles
vizio
aquarium obcessed (Last of the pack)

If figure I am just going to have a 3-4 decent sized sps colonies, and a clam ... these are all found in relatively shallow waters?
Is there something special about creating a "shallow reef?"
Forgive my ignorance - I am always learning :)

Bigballinreefer on rc has 2 24x24x12 glass tnaks for sale... A custom glass is going to cost about the same as a custom acrylic.. The acrylic to build a rimless is going to be thick which isn't cheap.. I don't know fo any local custom glass makers so you'll be paying for shipping on your custom glass tank from canada or washington....

I'm not sure if I understand when you posted you were going to tie your return pump into a closed loop?

Well with that shallow of a tank you are going to want very little rock in the tank for sps. You are going to want to give them height to grow. If you have a 12" tall tank. Your water level will probably be between 10-11 inches. Even with only 4 inches of rock height you are only going to have about 6-7 inches to the surface of the water.

fishnst,
Sorry that didn't make any sense. Hopefully my explanation does though :)
I don't want any powerheads or the like in the display tank. I figure the water drains into the sump, goes through the skimmer, and the refugium, and the return pump will push the water back up to the main tank through a couple (3-4?) holes in different locations in the tank. I'm not sure if this would provide enough flow though.
On RC, this BigBallinReefer guy is apparently "moved on." (take a look at his profile: http://reefcentral.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=192934) And I can't PM him for some reason. Was he banned from the site? Any other way to get a hold of this person?

iani,
Yes, I would like the water at 10"-11", and just enough sand to cover the bottom of the tank, and prevent the rock from coming into contact with the glass panel on the bottom. I figure around 1"-1.5"? Would it be okay to lay eggcrate on the very bottom of the tank, and put just enough sand in the tank to prevent any rock from coming into direct contact with the bottom panel?
I figure I will probably be getting small frags of these sps corals anyways, and watch them grow out - then simply just prune and frag as necessary.

Back