Reef nutrition

What salinity do you run your tank at?

What salinity do you run your tank at?

• Total voters
I wanted to see what people run their tanks at!

I just tested my tank and my main tank is running at what looks like to be ~29ppt

PXL_20210114_002931332.MP.jpg

I aim for 35 but I see it move around 34-36 when I check during water changes. I think 2 part can raise it, but I also have some splashing out of the tank that lowers salinity.

Ooo my tank has been fine but maybe ill double check my device to see if its actually calibrated

It looks like everyone runs their tank at 35ppt which makes sense.

Just checked... 37. I dont know why it seems so hard for me to get it to stay at 35. It's consistently 36 and on a slow climb all the time. Thanks to this thread, I've started adjusting by pulling 500ml 4x (over 24 hrs) and replacing with 0 ppt ATO. I do this from time to time as needed. It's a 250 liter system. And I dose AB @ 30ml/day.

Just checked... 37. I dont know why it seems so hard for me to get it to stay at 35. It's consistently 36 and on a slow climb all the time. Thanks to this thread, I've started adjusting by pulling 500ml 4x (over 24 hrs) and replacing with 0 ppt ATO. I do this from time to time as needed. It's a 250 liter system. And I dose AB @ 30ml/day.

Check your skimmer, is it wet skimming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I target 35, and it is usually pretty consistent. Water exchange system helps on that.
But in the past, it has drifted substantially, 31-38 at least, with really no noticeable difference.

Whatever the salinity your tank is at (assuming it is in the general vicinity of 35ppt), keep it there. The best thing for your tank is stability, not an exact number of any particular parameter. If your tank is currently at 32ppt, don't think that you HAVE to change it to 35ppt. If the tank is doing well, keep it there. If you WANT to make changes, do very small ones and expect your tank to suffer a little as the change happens.

Also, if you are not taking salt out and you are doing RODI top offs to the same level, you salinity WILL NOT CHANGE regardless of what your test is telling you. The larger the tank, the less change you should see.

Back