Our mission

What's your PH at?

nash

I can't seem to keep the PH up. I have the CA reactor off.Dose with Kalkwasser and still PH is 7.8 at best.100gal tank do about 2gal a night. I use used 3 different meter and all reads about the same.ALK and CA is in range.

Wayland, you know something ? I've never checked my tank PH :D

But, I have some questions ? are you using a substrate ? The reason that I ask that is because the sandbed and the live rocks are what needed to buffer your ph, when ph goes down the substrate and live rock melt a little and thus bring ph back up. If you are using sand and your sand is old, you might want to start replacing it.

What are you using to test the ALK? It may be low if you are using a salifert test kit. Lots of the salifert test kits have been testing off. If your ALK is low it would explain a low pH reading.

I would agree with Iani. Also, the time you are checking the ph also effect your reading. When I used to manually dose, my ph will be 7.9 when lights are out and go back up to 8.1 to 8.2 when the lights are on. The reading will be lower if I don't dose the Alk part of the 2 parts when the lights are out. Since adding a Calcium Reactor, it doesn't drop below 8.

You definitely want to check when you're measuring pH at. Here's a graph from my AC2 unit which tracks pH throughout the day.

AC2_a.jpg

The graph is off a bit, but I can explain. The pH basically starts dropping when the lights go out and hits bottom right before lights are on. Lights kick in at 1 PM and it starts to go up. At around 5ish, I checked the tank and noticed how high it was. I remedied it by adding in a pump for added circulation. That brings it back into check and gets it to hover around where I want it to be.

That was all before I started programming the AC2. Nowadays, my pH still drifts around, but I programmed the AC2 to enable it to turn on extra pumps for circulation or to turn on an air pump (comes on at night to keep the pH up).

Dang that was high! I'm glad it's nothing more than a need to turn on extra pumps for circulation.

My ph ranges from 7.95 morning and evening(just recently went that low) to 8.20 when the lights come on.

The calcium reactor turns on only when the ph gets to above 8.20.

When was the last time the ph probe was changed out (not just cleaned)? The probes supposedly only last about a year or so before they wear out.

The probe is only about 4 months old and last time I checked the calibration was in line w/my Hanna meter.

It's much better now w/the air pump and the extra circulation pump. It ranges from 8.0 to 8.4 during the day. I'm hoping it'll improve further when I get the whole system plumbed up with a stronger circulation pump.

Eric: It's interesting that as your pH spiked so did the ORP, are these interconnected?

Also what the is with that 9.5 pH that it starts at? That can't be that high it is when the lights are on.

Not sure about that. I don't have an ORP probe connected at all to the unit and it still reports ORP readings...

The 9.5 was using another probe that I had to recalibrate. The pH does drift to 8.8 or so if I don't add additional circulation to the tank; there isn't enough flow in it.

Still no luck in keeping the PH up.I did get some new sand and added it. Also I am seeing if airating the water more will drive CO2 out and add more O2 so far PH unchanged but Redox up 20pts.

The way that I understand it is that pH rises as carbon dioxide is depleted. The converse also holds, pH drops as carbon dioxide builds up. Corals and plants carry out photosynthesis throughout the day, producing oxygen and depleting co2. So as the light cycle continues throughout the day, pH rises.

Aerating the water drives off any excess carbon dioxide and absorbs carbon dioxide when deficient, preventing the pH from swinging. According to Randy Holmes-Farley, pH usually doesn't rise beyond 8.5. If it does, it's probably caused by lack of aeration and aerating the water will solve the issue.

When the tank is lighted, even with low flow, you'll get a high pH, as co2 is being depleted. At night, you will get a low pH since co2 builds up.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2460.msg25374#msg25374 date=1191360240]
The way that I understand it is that pH rises as carbon dioxide is depleted. The converse also holds, pH drops as carbon dioxide builds up. Corals and plants carry out photosynthesis throughout the day, producing oxygen and depleting co2. So as the light cycle continues throughout the day, pH rises.

Aerating the water drives off any excess carbon dioxide and absorbs carbon dioxide when deficient, preventing the pH from swinging. According to Randy Holmes-Farley, pH usually doesn't rise beyond 8.5. If it does, it's probably caused by lack of aeration and aerating the water will solve the issue.

When the tank is lighted, even with low flow, you'll get a high pH, as co2 is being depleted. At night, you will get a low pH since co2 builds up.

[/quote]
Yeah,That's right.Lights on in tank ph goes up 2-3 pt. I also thought it was too much CO2 in my room but I ran a fan still the same after a few days.Let me check on the ALk again. I think I can pinpoint when it started.I add a denirater and my PH started to drop about 1-2 weeks after that.I have since removed it for about 2weeks.

I think I found the problem. maybe some bad Salt
RO water ph 8.4
mixed salt water was only 7.3
aerated for a day still at 7.3-7.4
made some using Kalk 1st and then salt mix a little better at 7.7
I check the other batch I made weeks ago and it's about the same.
Make some sense to me now since I been changing more water out in hopes to bring PH up. Did a 5gal change each day for the pass 4 days.

Have you been seeing problems? I almost never check pH unless I see a problem because its just too hard to control. You end up chasing numbers and adding this and that only to chase more numbers.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2460.msg25436#msg25436 date=1191515650]
Have you been seeing problems? I almost never check pH unless I see a problem because its just too hard to control. You end up chasing numbers and adding this and that only to chase more numbers.
[/quote]You maybe right everything looks good.Checked my alk 14dkh ca 420ppm MG 1400. I was using some lamotte test kits I had. I hate testing with them so many steps.

Back