Where to get a 3/8" barbed ball valve?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kinetic, Aug 12, 2017.

  1. kinetic

    kinetic Webmaster

    I went to Albany Aquarium, home depot, and then all the usual aquarium store websites and couldn't find a 3/8 inch barbed ball valve. Smallest was a Two Little Fishies 1/2" valve, or the next one I could find is a 1/4" valve.

    On amazon, I found a $17 valve, made of PVC that is 3/8". Seems kind of ridiculously expensive for something that's just 1/8 smaller than the $4.50 TLF valve.

    I priced out step up barbed adapters and clamps so I could use that cheaper TLF valve, but it was more expensive than just getting the $17 one.

    Any ideas where I can find one? I'm just trying to restrict a little 80gph canister filter pump (ZooMed Nano 10) a little so that my poor betta fish doesn't die of exhaustion in his 2.6 gallon tank.
  2. Flagg37

    Flagg37 Colorado member

    If you're trying to restrict the flow can you step the 3/8" down to 1/4" and use the 1/4" ball valve?
  3. kinetic

    kinetic Webmaster

    Yeah good idea! But unfortunately the outlet is a glass lily pipe that's also 3/8" so I would need to step back up.
  4. Ibn

    Ibn Supporting Member

    You could probably use the 1/4" valve with the soft tubing on the canister. Just use some hot water to soften the ends and then force them into the 1/4" valve. Otherwise, you probably will have to take a look at possibly John Guest fittings.
  5. iani

    iani Guest

    Art, easy fix for this. 1/4" valve with a small amount of 1/4" tubing. Put the 1/4" tubing over the 1/4" valve just to the end of the valve. Slip the 3/8" tubing over the 1/4" tubing.
    kinetic likes this.
  6. Eugene

    Eugene Supporting Member

    It will clog by itself soon - no need to cut the flow!

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. kinetic

    kinetic Webmaster

    ugh, genius! thanks ian!

Share This Page