got ethical husbandry?

Who has a RO/DI Unit?

Hey guys:

I bought a 6 stage RO/DI unit off a manufacturer on ebay, and it has arrived today, So i will be setting that up tonight. Do any of you use a RO/DI unit? thoughts? If so, whats the deal with the different stages? some ive seen are three, but i just went with the 6 because i figured more is better ahah what do you guys think? I'm just tired of buying water, or filtering my own and never really being fully confident that my water is 100% perfect.

Thanks!

Kelly

Check out Mike's (sfsuphysics) post in this thread

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4033.0

Which one did you end up getting and from which seller? I almost bid on one but I really like the features that come with the air water and ice units. Just trying to decide if I want to use one for drinking water or not since the configurations can be different.

I bought it from Soumi Knight. He makes them in Milpitas. its a 100GPD 6 stage reverse osmosis water system with de-ionized unit, and a 4.4 gallon stainless steel tank. unit D1006CT, uses clear housings so you can see the life of the filters. it also came with a chrome faucet mount that you can mount on your sink. the membrane is a TFC one made by Applied Membranes with material from Dow Chemical. it auto flushes, and does not require regular manual flushing if properly maintanedm but they also provide a valve for that purpose. this is all the items it came with:
100 GPD Applied Membranes Auto Flush RO Membrane with RO Housing
Auto Shutoff valve
Needle piercing fresh water feed clamp for easy installation
Saddle Clamp for discharge water
lead free chrome faucet
filter wrench for tightening and removing the housings
clear housings
High Capacity 25-micron prefilter
High Capacity 10-micron coconut carbon block with housing
High capacity 1-micron prefilter
High Capacity 11" in-line filter (DI)
High Capacity 11" In-line filter (carbon)
Stainless Steel 4.4 gallon pressurized water tank with ball valve
FDA Approved food grade tubing-12 feet
Stainless Stell check valve to prevent RO water from moving back into the membrane and keeps auto shutoff stable

I will set it up tonight and see what happens! :)

lol whats a TDS?

Here is the link to the same one i got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filter-6-stage-4_W0QQitemZ220274813636QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is what I had before.. it was 150GPD unit..
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_MaxCap-RO-DI.htm

You see the two little monitor boxes?? Those are TDS meters. They measure water quality coming in and out..

What is TDS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids

I use an RODI unit - helps me alot since I need alot off top off water. Don't forget we have 2 sponsor that offer RODI stuff. We should try to support them when we can.

I have a 5 stage Spectrapure model that's done great. It comes with an attached TDS meter, but mine arrived without one, so I called and they sent me a dual TDS meter to make up for the mistake. Never had any problems with it. I like getting the color changing resin for the DI as it helps me get some frame of reference as to how much longer it's going to last.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=4474.msg54442#msg54442 date=1220578365]
I use an RODI unit - helps me alot since I need alot off top off water. Don't forget we have 2 sponsor that offer RODI stuff. We should try to support them when we can.
[/quote]

Thanks Arnold. I will support our sponsors, when my wallet permits :)

[quote author=Apon link=topic=4474.msg54442#msg54442 date=1220578365]
We should try to support them when we can.
[/quote]

Ya, I'll be getting an AW&I unit. I haven't even considered the spectra pure. Requiring a GB was my deciding factor.

In fact, I think I shall order tonight when I get home :-D

rodi1.jpg

MightyMite mounted under my kitchen sink.

That jug is just for the ATO, black tube coming out of RODI is clean water, black tube going in on the back of the jug is ATO line, airline going in there to keep keep it oxygenated, white tube going up is waste water going down the sink.

For waterchanges I just have a couple 5 gallon jugs filled with RO/DI, put my WC amount into a 5 gallon bucket with powerhead, airstone, heater, add salt, mix for 24 hours, change water.

EDIT

This message brought to you by Cascade©

lol@cascade. haha
thanks for the picture. i ultimately want to get a stock tank of maybe 50-100 gallons, put filter on it, a heater, and just use that for top offs. then i want another one for just straight saltwater..

Before moving out to the East Bay, I just had the excess go out to my yard where I would water my plants (I didn't have a water meter). Now however, since I am renting and only have a 28G tank, I've bypassed the RO unit and am only using the DI portion of the filtration. It goes through the DI resin faster, but since the TDS coming out of the tap is low where I am at (varies from 25 to 100 hanging mostly around 25-35) it's worth it at this point. That may change when I move, and finally upgrade to a much larger tank.

oh nice. yeah im going for the full RO/DI setup in my garage. i about to leave work to go home and try and figure this thing up lol i hope i dont end up with water all over the place! haha i rent too! LOL

and yes- im going to go buy brutes after work. lowes or home depot should have them right?

Back