got ethical husbandry?

Why oh why did I purchase an unfinished stand?

A few weeks ago I ordered a stand for my upcoming 90. Being low on funds, I ordered an unfinshed pine stand. The stand hasn't come in yet, apparently it will be ready next tuesday (I've been waiting 3 weeks after being told a week, but that's another story). Well I should have thought to myself at the time "Where are you going to actually FINISH this stand?" I live in a small aparment with a small balcony. Not exactly ideal for staining or painting a stand, but I could get by with it. The problem is, now with the weather so cold, it would be a disaster since most stains and paints need higher temps.

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do? A type of paint or stain I can use in colder weather? I might just bite the bullet and sell the thing and then buy a finished stand somewhere else.

How about slapping a several coats of Watco oil on it and calling it good?

I've used oil finishes in way cold weather before.

Hmm, that stuff looks nice. Any idea where to get it in the Bay Area? If not I can find it online. Is a pint enough, or should I get a quart? If I do go this route, does it need anything else on top of it to protect it from saltwater, or is that enough? On the inside of the stand I'm probably going to either paint it with exterior paint, or use Spar on it.

I think Home Depot has Watco. If they don't, they should have other brands of oil finish. The modern formulation of Watco has pigments, oil, and varnish all mixed together. The old fashioned oil finishes didn't have varnish. I'd go for a quart.

You just use a whole bunch of coats of Watco by itself, or if you're going to use spar varnish, just put a coat of that on top of the Watco for extra durability. The oil finish is not as water resistant as the spar varnish.

Thanks. The Spar is only for the inside of the stand. I want that extra protected since the sump will be in there. I'll also probably going to put a 1 to 2" strip of wood along and back and then caulk all the joints on the bottom, to try to make the bottom of the stand somewhat water tight.

One thing I've done in the middle of winter years ago was to build a plastic sheet "tent" over the furniture in question and had a small space heater heat the area. I was able to stain and finish with polyurethane this way. No explosions, either, 'cuz I was really careful.
Jim

I found the Watco stuff at OSH, I'm going to give that a try. As long as I get a day on the weekend in the low 60's, I think I'll be fine.

trmiv said:
Thanks. I'll also probably going to put a 1 to 2" strip of wood along and back and then caulk all the joints on the bottom, to try to make the bottom of the stand somewhat water tight.

FWIW I placed Pond Lining in my sump area and it's saved my life on several occasions - definately worth the investment.

Dave

So I went and got the Watco Exterior Wood finish. It says it stains, seals and protects from UV, moisture and mildew. If I finish the stand with this, do I need to cover it with anything, like a poly?

For what it is worth - the inside of the canopy stand has some mildew. Make sure the inside of the stand has plenty of ventilation to the outside through holes and fans.

I might finish the inside of the stand with this epoxy paint that you use to repair sinks and tubs. That would make it pretty waterproof in there. Either that or spar varinish over the top of watco.

Back