High Tide Aquatics

Wrasse eating flatworms...need guidance

Klems

Supporting Member
Have some flatworms in the tank and don't want to jump into flatworms x just yet, looking for more natural ways to eliminate or reduce population. What wrasse could I use that would be OK in a 50g cube reef tank?

Thanks Ken

Look like this picture...light brown in color
imageproxy.jpeg

You know, everyone always says that sixlines are assholes, but I have three of them (in different tanks of course) and they have been model citizens so far.
There are always exemptions.

I have a Sohal Tang that's almost a foot long and gets along with everyone.

I have a six line in the frag tank that is super timid

I had a 3" convict tang that tried to kill my purple tang twice his size.

I tried sucking them our via an airline tube and was amazed at how many I got out. I will try to suck some more out tomorrow if I see them on the rocks or glass.

They were purchased at different times; from 6 months to a year and a half. Dunno if they're male or female, how do you tell?

Sixline's aren't easy to sex like a lot of similar wrasses. If there's a pair or harem in a tank then the largest is usually male. If there's only one in a tank they almost always will transition into males once a certain age is reached. My reading and experience on sixlines is that while many stay good tank mates for a long time as long as no new small species are introduced into the tank that there comes a time when many get aggressive. I assume it's once they've transitioned to super male status, but that's a guess. The real problem though is if they do get aggressive they are impossible to catch!

I’ve seen em be good for 2-3 years and then fish start going missing, and it doesn’t stop till six line Ian gone. Only like a couple times, but makes me believe what Bruce is saying. I used to be in Randy’s camp, they look cool, stay small, perform a useful function, are pretty cheap, but now I’m more of the mind to avoid them mostly.

Back