Wrasses and topless tank?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by roostertech, Mar 3, 2017.

1. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I saw some sweet naoko wrasses at AC yesterday and was super tempted.

But... I equally would hate having a top. So far I enjoy being able to freely work in the tank.

So on the what is the probability that I'll end up with fish jerky?

Also has anyone DIY a thing to prop screen to up so you don't have to move the whole thing out of the way? Kinda like the same idea as car hood?

2. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Your mileage will vary. I have had a six-line jump. I currently have a leopard wrasse and a radiant wrasse and they've been happy for 3-4 months.

3. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I haven't had a wrasse jump yet.

Clownfish, yes. Blennys, yes. Gobys, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Yeah...Had a yellow watchman goby take flight as well.

5. tankguy

tankguy BOD

Wrasses are known jumpers. Get a net. Hate to see an $80 fish on the floor

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

It will happen

7. I have a wrasse-less tank. It's not that I haven't purchased Wrasses. It's that they all have jumped. I even have the Innovative Marine mesh top on mine and they have still all leaped to their death.

8. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

How do they leap through the mesh?

9. Good aim?

10. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

You should have dose vodka, a lot of it

Ashalye likes this.
  11. I do, but being drunk makes me even sadder when I find their dried, shriveled little bodies on the carpet. I'm a sad drunk.

Ashalye likes this.
  12. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

My Klein Butterfly jumped, landed on my "fish deflector" that covers my overflow ... but since it wasn't tilted, he got stuck there and the Metal Halides fried him :(

V

13. tankguy

tankguy BOD

My tank is wrasse dominated. Since putting up the net I've had no suicides

14. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

My 6-line wrasse was found on the ground a few days after I added a new fish. I had seen the wrasse attack the new fish several times in torpedo-like fashion - new fish would dodge the attack and he'd almost come out of the water. So I guessed what must have happened was he launched toward the fish swimming above him, the new fish dodged like a matador, and the wrasse flew out of the tank. So, I would say everything depends on how the wrasse gets along with the other fish. I think most fish jumps are probably caused by skirmishes.

I bought another 6 line wrasse later and he's been in the topless tank over a year I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

mccoskers wrasse jumped out a few years ago during maintenance. I have tops that cover the openings in the tank, but took them off for maintenance. Since then, none have jumped out and I have 7 wrasses. top is definitely necessary.