Our mission

Xenia won't pulsate

So what did I miss? When I turn off the pumps, this coral stops looking cool and looks limp. I've never seen it "pulsate" the way that Charles' pulsating coral does :) :| Is it the particular strain? It was a hitch hiker on the Pink stylo that resides in the tank. I love the color but would exchange it in a minute for something that (1) wasn't a darn weed and (2) looked cool as it pulsated under energy of it's own!
P1000720.jpg

Yes not all xeniids pulse.

read this: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/ac/feature/index.php

Great article. Hmmm.............if it sounds like a weed, walks like a weed, and looks like a very attractive weed, and grows like a weed then it must be.............. H)

Time to keep movin' movin' movin' though it's disapprovin'..........keep that coral movin'.........

Some species of Xenia are more likely to pulse than others. I think that if you change water parameters it might pulse as a way to adjust to new conditions. What else is really cool is if you attach the xenia to some sort of Styrofoam like material and let it float on the surface of the water. It looked so cool at my LFS.

nudibranch said:
Some species of Xenia are more likely to pulse than others. I think that if you change water parameters it might pulse as a way to adjust to new conditions. What else is really cool is if you attach the xenia to some sort of Styrofoam like material and let it float on the surface of the water. It looked so cool at my LFS.

some, how about most. Very few actually pulse.

you would be wrong on that one Tony, sorry. I know of ~ a dozen we normally see and only (1) of those pulses. Pulsing is uncommon, thus the attraction of the fugly pulsing sinularia.

I used to have xenia, or should I say it used to have me. It was so cool to watch it pulse. Its a great coral too bad it grows so fast.

You can see it at the end of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30r0UmaqJ4

Oh the pompom is my favorite one besides the "tree" one that was going around the Bay Area years ago.

Back