Yasah Goby Missing

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by ltrot92, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ltrot92

ltrot92 Guest

I have had a 14 gallon biocube since May, and the first fish I added was a yasha goby. for the first month or so he was pretty shy, but after adding a pistol shrimp he became very active, particularly at feeding time. Even after introducing a pair of clownfish he would still hang outside one of his holes.

For the past week, however, he's become much more shy. While I used to see him every day, at most now I only see him every other day, if at all. The last time he came out to eat was 3 days ago, and after that he's stayed in the rock. I leave food out for him, but he still doesn't come out and eat it. Should I be worried at all? I hope he isn't dead because a). he's my favorite fish and b). I don't really know how to get him out of the rock if he is.

2. Fish Boss

Fish Boss Supporting Member

He should be fine, mine didn't show his face for a week when I first got him. I'm pretty sure they eat pods, so as long as you have pods he has something to eat

3. ltrot92

ltrot92 Guest

That sounds like it's the case, some of the live rock I added recently definitely had pods in it

4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

No other new tank additions?

5. ltrot92

ltrot92 Guest

None since he stopped showing up. The most recent was a peppermint shrimp about 6 weeks ago, which he didn't seem to care about.

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Fish can go a long time without food since their metabolism is slower because they don't have to heat their bodies like we do.

7. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Did your goby ever appear?

8. ltrot92

ltrot92 Guest

He reappeared about a month ago, yeah. Exactly the same as he was.

MolaMola likes this.
  9. Schmitty

Schmitty Supporting Member

I just got one last week and am having the same problem... the pistol shrimp and goby were added to tank together and darted under the rocks and havent been seen since, I havent heard the pistol shrimp either. Trying not to be worried....