Jestersix

Zoa's looking a little drab?

UPDATED PICS

Well one of my 2 original zoa colony's that I got back on 8-31-07 has started looking a little ill. I've also noticed that a couple of my people eaters haven't been opening and 1 or 2 others are starting to mushroom. They are on opposite sides of the tank and my parameters haven't swung at all (alk did drop a little under 3 mEq/L last week but I test weekly and it's fine now) Sorry for the dusty pictures, my goby has been busy this morning.

Oh and I think this is unrelated but there was some of the white soft spaghetti stuff (like in this thread http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2506.0) amongst some of the polyps but I removed it with some gentle pressure and my syringe.

EDIT: The zoa colony has also become less responsive than the others. When I squirt water on them to dust them off from time to time they would normally close up just like the other 10 frags but now they don't. They still close up at night but not when sprayed or even touched.

PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Amonia 0
Phosphate <1mg/L
Alk 3.5 mEq/L
Ca 360 ppm (dosed 2 part last night)
sg 1.025

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2527.msg26031#msg26031 date=1193339947]
Maybe s.g. is off?
[/quote]

I forgot that on my list so I updated my post. I am using a generic hydrometer but I have been getting a consistant reading since I started up my tank (and no the needle isn't stuck :) )

Maybe doublecheck the hydrometer.

I had one that was consistant, but read lower than actual.

I do have zoas that close up with higher s.g.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2527.msg26034#msg26034 date=1193341611]
Maybe doublecheck the hydrometer.

I had one that was consistant, but read lower than actual.

I do have zoas that close up with higher s.g.
[/quote]

Well here's the gotcha, this specific colony has become less responsive than the others. When I squirt water on them to dust them off from time to time they would normally close up just like the other 10 frags but now they don't. They still close up at night but not when sprayed or even touched. I'll add that to my main post.

They aren't getting any better, no one has any other idea's? I'm going to try and pick up a refractometer today jic. Here's an updated pic.. one large and one small just for grins

I has same issues with some of my zoa. Could never figure it out.
Just split each colony in 3-4 depending on the size. I has 1/3 of colonies die but 2/3 stay alive.

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2527.msg26236#msg26236 date=1193766912]
Just split each colony in 3-4 depending on the size. I has 1/3 of colonies die but 2/3 stay alive.
[/quote]

Thanks. The odd thing is that one of the colony's are people eaters and they don't share a base so there is nothing to seperate them from and fragging them to stop something from spreading seems to be illogical (not saying it wasn't a good idea in your case it's just not sounding good in mine). I'll keep an eye on them and keep folks updated.

Looks like some zoa pox in the 4th pic of the 1st post, but it's hard to tell.

If that's the case, you can try doing a bunch of water changes. Or else you can try moving the zoas to a different tank. A change in environment seems to help.

Beyond that, you can try Furan II.

Here's some info:

http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2527.msg26239#msg26239 date=1193772231]
Looks like some zoa pox in the 4th pic of the 1st post, but it's hard to tell.

If that's the case, you can try doing a bunch of water changes. Or else you can try moving the zoas to a different tank. A change in environment seems to help.

Beyond that, you can try Furan II.

Here's some info:

http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

[/quote]
Zoa poc? If it wasn't for that lack of smiles I'd think you were joking. I'll read up and see if that could be it. Thanks!

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2527.msg26237#msg26237 date=1193770964]
[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2527.msg26236#msg26236 date=1193766912]
[/quote]

Thanks. The odd thing is that one of the colony's are people eaters and they don't share a base so there is nothing to seperate them from and fragging them to stop something from spreading seems to be illogical (not saying it wasn't a good idea in your case it's just not sounding good in mine). I'll keep an eye on them and keep folks updated.
[/quote]

I don't think fragging actually makes it better. It just separated it so that you can put one low in the tank and one high for example.
Then in case there's a pest or any othger thing affecting them - you get better chances for survival.

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=2527.msg26244#msg26244 date=1193773452]
[/quote]
I don't think fragging actually makes it better. It just separated it so that you can put one low in the tank and one high for example.
Then in case there's a pest or any othger thing affecting them - you get better chances for survival.
[/quote]

I see what you mean now thanks.

Back