got ethical husbandry?

Tenuis care

Hello BAR family,

I need help with this. I got some type of acro tenuis and tort about a week ago from CFM! Tenuis had great PE until a few days ago and now not so much. Last time about a few months ago when I got a tenuis it was the same and that one eventually shed and died. Torts and other sps are looking great with PE. Parameters are staying around: 8-8.5 dKH (Hanna), ca 350 ish (Hanna, I’m trying to get this up to 400+ slowly), mag 1500, ph 8.05-8.2 (apex), nitrate 5ppm (API), phosphate ? Haven’t tested recently but it was 0.02 ppm (Hanna) a month ago. PAR (Orphek atlantik v4 gen2) is about 100-150 where it’s sitting at the bottom of my tank. I have a skimmer and algae scrubber. Tank is Red Sea reefer 170, about 9 months old. I followed the WWC/BRS hybrid method. I have two clown fish and 7 snails. Also keeping zoas, hammer, elegance coral, rock flower anemones (contained), and alveoporas, which are all doing great.

Any tips/thoughts on what might help this tenuis do better this time?
58A6F763-EAF4-421C-BFE3-19442A2B747B.jpg
FA26544C-91CF-4A84-88E3-10954C25C533.jpeg

Did it STN or RTN?

one thing that seems to have helped me is to make sure there’s enough flow all around the coral

I believe the last tenuis had STN but that might have something to do with a spike of nitrate to 15-20 from 5 in a matter of 10 days (I was away and my feeder fed too much, i think)

it seems to be getting pretty good flow but I can try to give it more...

I believe the last tenuis had STN but that might have something to do with a spike of nitrate to 15-20 from 5 in a matter of 10 days (I was away and my feeder fed too much, i think)

it seems to be getting pretty good flow but I can try to give it more...

yea not sure if flow is the issue but that’s what happened to me and I added another pump and seems to have helped but I only had 1 mp10 in my nuvo 40 at the time

Well I would continue to get the calcium up, flow is important(lots of it) and I believe it could use a bump in par closer to 250ish

I’ll move the frag to the 200-250 PAR area in my tank.

Also I have difficulty bringing up CA level. I’m dozing CA twice as much as soda ash (BRS 2 part). I see little precipitates....

If your calcium is out of whack you should just dose more 2 part.

I don’t care what anyone says. ALWAYS dose 2 part in equal amounts. And use a brand that’s set up for it to be done as equal parts. I use b ionic

If your calcium is out of whack you should just dose more 2 part.

I don’t care what anyone says. ALWAYS dose 2 part in equal amounts. And use a brand that’s set up for it to be done as equal parts. I use b ionic

I had great success with b ionic.tried the bra and the red sea ones, I was not happy with it. But b ionic was good.
As rostato said, I have seen in the past when I see diffrent ca and alk fose and I kept trying to chase single dose to correct but cannot. Then I realized that at some imbalance cases just dosing one element will make problem worst. Once I started dosing based on alk both ca and alk, things started to fall in to place automatically

Last edited:
I had great success with bi onic.tried the bra and the red sea ones, I was not happy with it. But b ionic was good.
As rostato said, I have seen in the past when I see diffrent ca and alk fose and I kept trying to chase single dose to correct but cannot. Then I realized that at some imbalance cases just dosing one element will make problem worst. Once I started dosing based on alk both ca and alk, things started to fall in to place automatically

@Rostato @ofzakaria thanks for that insight I’ll look into that!!! @Rostato you mentioned trace elements dosing before. What was it that you are using? Or they included in your b ionic solution?

When there’s an imbalance I found multiple water changes to be the best option to re stabilize as adjusting 2 part is a pain and usually precipitates when things are out of wack
Check your magnesium.
It is strange to see precipitate when CA is low.

If you have a lot of softies, you may very well need more Alk than CA. Certainly happened to me.
But needing more CA than Alk is very surprising.

@Rostato @ofzakaria thanks for that insight I’ll look into that!!! @Rostato you mentioned trace elements dosing before. What was it that you are using? Or they included in your b ionic solution?

B ionic has most of the trace elements in it. But using the b ionic transition transition elements will cover most all of them.

I have found I only need to separately dose iodine when using the b ionic 2 part and transition elements.

B ionic has most of the trace elements in it. But using the b ionic transition transition elements will cover most all of them.

I have found I only need to separately dose iodine when using the b ionic 2 part and transition elements.
Are you sure b ionic have any trace elements? I thought they only carry major elements which are alk and ca in the 2 parts..

I believe b ionic have only alk and ca. Pure 2 parts.

Not that I would worry about trace elements this early.
I would only dose trace elements if am testing for the elements otherwise your water change should replenish trace elements from your salt mix..

Back