got ethical husbandry?

Innovative Marine 112 INT build

Hi all!

Welcome to the journal for my 4th reef tank. Da_Neefer means The Noob Reefer. I guess I'm not as much of a noob aftere 2 yrs in the hobby but I still catch myself feeling like one sometimes :) I've had a 69g and a 75g setup for awhile now and decided I really wanted to do one tank I can focus my efforts on but a bit larger. I'm space limited so I ended up deciding upon a size compromise by going with this tank. The 36"x36"x20" footprint allows me to reuse much of my current setup on the new build which, as we all know, is a huge cost savings.

The new tank has been delivered today and will be inspected after work. I'll let it sit until Memorial day week when I'll start breaking down the 69g tank. I'll need to move some fish, re home some fish and move coral to the 75g tank so I can setup the 112g. The transfer has me a bit anxious but I'm glad to have a 2nd tank available to do this. At that point I'll post a sale thread for the 69g and critters/corals that I can't keep.

IMG_0082.jpg

I'm close to getting my 112 ext out of the crate too! We can be 112 buddies! :D
Make sure your stand has the side doors, mine originally came with fixed panels.

Your thread helped me decide upon the IM 112 INT. Decided I liked the O2 exchange the coast to coast overflow offers with the INT version over the EXT at the last minute. I'll definitely check the panels. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for packing it back up for me. I'll be right over to pick it up. I'm sure I can find space somewhere for it. Maybe get rid of a couch...lol
I'm tempted to say if you can pick it up and move it to your car with one hand you can have it but I'd be very sad if you turned out to be very clever or The Hulk and actually did it :D

I could probably use one hand and wiggle a hand truck under a long side then reach through with one hand and foot on the truck and tilt it back and roll it all the way home through cull canyon. Cause there's no way I'm getting it into my van with one hand! Lmao. We'll maybe set a moving blanket on the end of the trunk and pull the whole thing up on the hand truck rails. Hmmm...challenge accepted!

A small update on the progress,

Quanta Reef lights & 50lbs of new Marco rock arrived last week and @Holly94583 was super nice giving me 20lbs of used rock. Thank you! Tnutz 80/20 order arrives today, and an order of plumbing supplies along with a Hydros WaveEngine V2 controller for the IceCap Gyres should be here soon. 80lbs of live sand arrived today too. Vacation is over and it's time to get fragging and dipping to empty the 69g into the 75g. A ton of work ahead including setting up a borrowed frag tank for the AEFW quarantine process. Thank you @jhuynh John!

In the meantime here's a few pics from Davis lake

IMG_0114.jpgE0BEF69F-04FE-44BB-B696-6DFF5509A59D.jpgIMG_0123.jpg

A small update on the progress,

Quanta Reef lights & 50lbs of new Marco rock arrived last week and @Holly94583 was super nice giving me 20lbs of used rock. Thank you! Tnutz 80/20 order arrives today, and an order of plumbing supplies along with a Hydros WaveEngine V2 controller for the IceCap Gyres should be here soon. 80lbs of live sand arrived today too. Vacation is over and it's time to get fragging and dipping to empty the 69g into the 75g. A ton of work ahead including setting up a borrowed frag tank for the AEFW quarantine process. Thank you @jhuynh John!

In the meantime here's a few pics from Davis lake

View attachment 38866View attachment 38867View attachment 38868
Lake looks awesome. My last trip there the weather was a bit chilly
IMG_0502.jpeg

those trees look like they just got burnt
Yes they are. The ?Beckworth? fire last year took out most of Frenchman lakes shoreline and the canyon Little Last Chance creek runs through. Along with most of my favorite campground. I drove through one day last week and walked around a bit. Was kind of sad so i skipped more pictures.

Here's a little progress update

Finally got the stand in its general location but shimming will be required as the floor is not level. The 80/20 light rack is basically built although not finished. I really like this stuff! It's absolutely like adult erector set but 1000x tougher. I did have to shorten the 4 bracket screws so they would fit in the channels on the stand but it otherwise went together super clean. The horizontal bar can slide forward or back and the vertical supports have another 6" of height I can add if needed.

I'm debating upon getting a 3/8" or 1/2" thick piece of starboard vs plywood cut to help support the sump. Also, if I'm going to use the supplied shelf I'll need to make a cutout for the plumbing. Should be fun. Going to be honest this has been an interesting process. Some areas much tougher than expected due to space limitations.

ECDDF5BA-D68B-4309-9840-A404AD05496C.jpg
D74B021A-E262-4373-8710-B589740D682C.jpg
53390764-529E-45B2-A573-A988B3B2F456.jpg

Back