got ethical husbandry?

Salty_Taste650: Innovative Marine 14Gal Peninsula

ACAN COLONY MORPHED!

Owned for about 2-3 years now and recently has had an explosion of growth and morph in color!

Colors I see: Orange, Red, yellow, green, white stripes.

When I first brought it home the green would only show in the mouth however, this is the update:
- Couple heads have Green on the outer rim
- Couple heads have green on both outer rim and the mouth
- Some heads have no green at all yet retain the orange red yellow and white stripes.
Australian Acan
Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 15.27.58.png

Quick update: Excuse the heads on the photo as they just finished eating. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 15.28.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 15.28.06.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Happy Lunar New Year!

I thought this specimen best represented Red Envelopes due to its intense coloration.
Pictures don't do this justice. Need to somehow improve my content...
Started from 1 polyp and we pushing 5. Curious when the black comes in?

Enjoy. WWC OG RAINBOW BLASTO
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 08.38.16.png

Last edited:
ACAN COLONY MORPHED!

Owned for about 2-3 years now and recently has had an explosion of growth and morph in color!

Colors I see: Orange, Red, yellow, green, white stripes.

When I first brought it home the green would only show in the mouth however, this is the update:
- Couple heads have Green on the outer rim
- Couple heads have green on both outer rim and the mouth
- Some heads have no green at all yet retain the orange red yellow and white stripes.

View attachment 44796
View attachment 44797

Quick update: Excuse the heads on the photo as they just finished eating. Enjoy!
How much PAR do you have these under? The consensus I keep hearing is that you have to keep the rainbow varieties under 100 or so to keep them from shifting to all red/orange. Lots of great colors here!

Special Delivery to my Dad:

My pops been a die hard reefer since the 80s and basically brought me up in the hobby. Now that I have really invested myself and ran with this whole reef thing, I've been meaning to gift him a special collectors item coral that he'd appreciate. (Also a thank you gesture since he shut down his tanks temporarily in 98 when I was born)

Chalice is his favorite type of coral so I've been on the hunt to find something completely different from your typical rainbow / dynamite / jellybean. Finally, that time has come.
I'd like to show off the newest addition to our collection. MELTED SKITTLES CHALICE

In my eyes, this is definitely one of the craziest or most exotic chalice that I've come across. Enjoy the content. *ALL PICTURES ARE NOT MINE*
The first 2 pictures are macros of the colony up close and the bottom 2 is the original mother colony upon import.

Can't wait to receive the frag coming in. Might attempt to make a video out of it just to document the memories
38D1DB61-E140-4DCB-9E3C-467DC29584CD.JPG
8E1F5BA4-1984-44AA-B596-6B69A6CEFF4E.JPG
E49FBCE3-8034-48D7-9FFC-D839D41BDCDA.JPG
99D7062D-1BED-40EA-BEC8-AFE66C0F9D09.JPG

Last edited:
EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY

Ever since the power outage, my heater has been acting up. I came home just right now to a burning smell in my room. Initially, I thought I burned out a bulb in my light but when I touched my tank, it was HOT. I check the temperature it was 84!!!! It's usually set at 76 so I immediately turned off my lights, unplugged my heater and took it out. The night after the power outage, I remember it rose to 80 degrees and I followed the same procedure.

I was tempted to place ice in my tank immediately in hopes to bring it down to at least 80 but my dad said not to shock the corals and let it go down naturally. This is very frustrating. Glad I caught it when I did but I hope all the corals adjust okay...

Anyone have any experience with this? Cobalt Neotherm 75w. Very Scary..
Do people typically clean heaters on the regular basis? I wonder if it is because I haven't cleaned it in like 9 months but still.

SCRAMBLING TO FIND ANOTHER HEATER! IM AFRAID IF I PUT THIS BACK IN MY TANK THAT IT MIGHT HEAT UP OVERNIGHT AND I WAKE UP TO A FOUL SMELL

Anyone have suggestions on what type of heater would best fit a nano tank?

Last edited:
EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY

Ever since the power outage, my heater has been acting up. I came home just right now to a burning smell in my room. Initially, I thought I burned out a bulb in my light but when I touched my tank, it was HOT. I check the temperature it was 84!!!! It's usually set at 76 so I immediately turned off my lights, unplugged my heater and took it out. The night after the power outage, I remember it rose to 80 degrees and I followed the same procedure.

I was tempted to place ice in my tank immediately in hopes to bring it down to at least 80 but my dad said not to shock the corals and let it go down naturally. This is very frustrating. Glad I caught it when I did but I hope all the corals adjust okay...

Anyone have any experience with this? Cobalt Neotherm 75w. Very Scary..
Do people typically clean heaters on the regular basis? I wonder if it is because I haven't cleaned it in like 9 months but still.

SCRAMBLING TO FIND ANOTHER HEATER! IM AFRAID IF I PUT THIS BACK IN MY TANK THAT IT MIGHT HEAT UP OVERNIGHT AND I WAKE UP TO A FOUL SMELL

Anyone have suggestions on what type of heater would best fit a nano tank?

Def invest in a heater controller and replace the questionable heater. I'd only use that one to heat up water change water.

Tank update:
With the replacement heater from my mangroves, finnex temp control, I was able to keep the tank warm enough to at least stay 74 for the night.

This triggered some type of explosion in growth for my bio. I now see lots of copepods on the glass along with baby snails all over the place.

Ended up moving my WWC OG Momma over to my dad's tank. Reasoning is because the clownfish pair have made it their new home and have been pissing it off popping the bubbles and making it shrink over the past month. The plan is to move the clownfish over to the 25g once everything has settled in and to reunite it with the Tonga Purple Magnifica Anemone.

UPDATE: Tank went as high as 88
-
Jawbreaker disappeared over night
- Boujie Jawbreaker now has infection.... (Since dipped through chemiclean 5 cycles) Hasn't recovered well if any.

Last edited:
! NEW BUILD ALERT !
Custom 24 x 24 x 8 Ext! 20 Gal

Upgrade was in the works at least within the next 2 years but grateful to have family in the hobby. Looking forward to getting this shallow tank set up! Unexpected but not unwelcome!

The goal is to move livestock in by August 2023 (6 Months of seeding) Rockscape will be a combo of LIVE branch/ rocks that my family has laying around in the cryptic setup. Existing water & Bio Media will be taken from my dads display 150g. Definitely will be ready to go within 2-3 months but no rush to set up so at least 6 months for me :)

Planning to move the Clowns to a 20ext Downstairs.

Attachments

• 72CB24AC-C927-4BBF-A50F-ACE62ED550D8.jpeg
    72CB24AC-C927-4BBF-A50F-ACE62ED550D8.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 69
  • E1FF15EF-89D1-4736-B275-122391A207F3.jpeg
    E1FF15EF-89D1-4736-B275-122391A207F3.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Sad News:

I believe the Purple monster bounce that I picked up came with a Bacteria Infection. Upon arrival, it was slightly bleaching in the middle.. I thought it was 2 heads splitting. As time went by, it continued to bleach and it looks like it wont make it.

How do I know it is an infection? For starters, after its arrival around 2 weeks, bleaching spread and eventually went to my baby Og bounce and the DBTC JB where they ended up kicking the bucket. Prior to its arrival, mushrooms were thriving and splitting. I spoke to a couple of reefers and came to conclusion it was a infection as others had similar experiences.

When I first got the mushroom in, it was my fault for not doing a thorough dip. I took word of the seller and chose THE 1 TIME NOT TO DIP. Big mistake. Since then, all mushrooms has gone through 7 dips of chemiclean, iodine, dip x but the JB is on its last legs so it was too late. Had I known sooner I would've started treatment but I didnt start until around January.

Sucks. Because I chose to listen to seller and not dip, I lost 1 Og bounce baby, 1 DBTC Jawbreaker, and soon to be Purple Monster Shroom. I was lazy due to being overworked with school and job so this is the price to pay.

Let this be a lesson. Always Dip. Never Listen to the Seller Regardless to protect your own livestock.

Sad News:

I believe the Purple monster bounce that I picked up came with a Bacteria Infection. Upon arrival, it was slightly bleaching in the middle.. I thought it was 2 heads splitting. As time went by, it continued to bleach and it looks like it wont make it.

How do I know it is an infection? For starters, after its arrival around 2 weeks, bleaching spread and eventually went to my baby Og bounce and the DBTC JB where they ended up kicking the bucket. Prior to its arrival, mushrooms were thriving and splitting. I spoke to a couple of reefers and came to conclusion it was a infection as others had similar experiences.

When I first got the mushroom in, it was my fault for not doing a thorough dip. I took word of the seller and chose THE 1 TIME NOT TO DIP. Big mistake. Since then, all mushrooms has gone through 7 dips of chemiclean, iodine, dip x but the JB is on its last legs so it was too late. Had I known sooner I would've started treatment but I didnt start until around January.

Sucks. Because I chose to listen to seller and not dip, I lost 1 Og bounce baby, 1 DBTC Jawbreaker, and soon to be Purple Monster Shroom. I was lazy due to being overworked with school and job so this is the price to pay.

Let this be a lesson. Always Dip. Never Listen to the Seller Regardless to protect your own livestock.

If you really think it’s bacterial, put the shrooms in a 10 gallon QT and dose 250mg of cipro daily for 5-7 days at lights out. 25% water change prior to dosing. Or if you don’t mind doing the whole display tank, you can do it that way too. Forget antibiotic “dips,” that’s a recipe for creating antibiotic resistant bacteria and not an appropriate way to killing bacteria.

If you really think it’s bacterial, put the shrooms in a 10 gallon QT and dose 250mg of cipro daily for 5-7 days at lights out. 25% water change prior to dosing. Or if you don’t mind doing the whole display tank, you can do it that way too. Forget antibiotic “dips,” that’s a recipe for creating antibiotic resistant bacteria and not an appropriate way to killing bacteria.
Please make sure you bleach that water change water in the sun outside to inactivate the antibiotics and kill any adapted bacteria that may have survived in there. Cipro still has efficacy in humans and we need to protect its use outside of a pharmacological setting. We don't need it becoming the next Tetracycline.

Back