Kessil

Osaka, Japan: Aquarium and Coral Shop

Invictus

Secretary
BOD
Photo dump from my recent trips to the Ōsaka Aquarium and Blue Harbor LFS in Japan.

The Aquarium was decent, although the coral reef section was just a few small tanks. They really banked on about 25 different viewing panels of their main display, which impressively housed two whale sharks.

The store was, interesting. Clearly pieced together over time by a hobbyist, and known more for their rare fish than impressive coral. I didn’t have an orange lense at the time and unfortunately the owner was not there to chat with.

Aquarium:
IMG_1999.jpeg

IMG_2002.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2003.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg
IMG_2005.jpeg

IMG_2010.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg

That’s interesting… I wonder how they hold up to urchins and bristletooth fish.
Yeah I have no idea. The only selling point on the box seemed to be that they were “cleanable” which isn’t really a priority for any of us. I would have loved to ask the shop owner if he was there. Just bought them for fun.

I'd completely forgotten about the Osaka aquarium! Is it still set up in a 'circle' so it's like you're walking around the Pacific Ring of fire?
Yes. You walk in circles around the main tank, which gives great viewing angles of it. The outer tanks were a bit meh, but still a fun experience.

definitely check out okinawa aquarium if you're ever down there. they have a cafe next to the main tank and you can get a table right next to the tank. i have pictures of the whale sharks litterally a few feet from me.

side note, if you're into mtg or pokemon cards, osaka nipponbashi has a bunch of stores and you can find some crazy deals if youre willing to look using google translate.

Back