Cali Kid Corals

75G Budget Build

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
After 2 weeks of looking for a tank to replace my Red Sea reefer I decided to go on a budget and build a tank from scratch. Went to my local Petco and bought a 75g.

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpeg
    IMG_9135.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
Had to build a stand from scratch this was my first time doing this pretty fun but also pretty sketchy lol I was worried that I might not build it properly and the whole tank just crumbles. Got to say thanks to @Turkeysammich hes been guiding me through this whole project. This was my second time rebuilding the stand after I messed up on measurements the first time. The stand isn’t pretty but it does the job eventually I’ll close it up with some finished wood

Attachments

• IMG_9219.jpeg
    IMG_9219.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9221.jpeg
    IMG_9221.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 35
Drilled out the two holes at Wills he helped me center it and get the right placement. I was very skeptical about doing this on my own I didn’t wanna crack the tank and have to buy another one. In the end it came out pretty good and wasn’t as hard as I thought it was. I Wrapped the back of the wall with the holes with black wrap came out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_9282.jpeg
    IMG_9282.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9234.jpeg
    IMG_9234.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9233.jpeg
    IMG_9233.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 29
Nice! How are you planning to seal the stand? This is what I ended up using. It has a glossy finish so it makes it easy to wipe spills up

Attachments

• IMG_9238.jpeg
    IMG_9238.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 22
Bought two bags of sand added that to the tank and let it sit over night with the reef wave on. Waited for it to clear up the next day and started transferring all my livestock to the new tank. Considering i haven’t done a water change a lot of my coral like torches and hammers died from the water being so dirty and out of range with parameters. Most of the anemones were detached so it gave me a a good reason to not just put them back in and put them in a basket so I can have an easier way of placing my rocks the way I want. Lights won’t fit on the tank cause it’s not rimless so I’ll be needed to do another DIY or figuring out how I can hang them on the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9371.jpeg
    IMG_9371.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9351.jpeg
    IMG_9351.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9325.jpeg
    IMG_9325.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9231.jpeg
    IMG_9231.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 31
Last night I was able to fill the rest of the water from the 40g breeder just to the of the grills. Tried fitting the 40g down below to make it a sump but unfortunately it’s to big and need to find another option.

Attachments

• IMG_9369.jpeg
    IMG_9369.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9372.jpeg
    IMG_9372.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
We might have to add "tank mod guru" as Will @Turkeysammich 's official BOD title! Another reason why this club is so great. I couldn't imagine trying to do all that successfully off a BRS video.

Highly recommend maybe some sort of liner/vibration mat for the stand/sump to quiet it down and contain leaks. There's a few other builds here that went with that @Chrism1330

Well done so far!

Learning so much with this build. I picked up some acrylic pieces to build the sump. As well as 45 degrees to support the stand a bit more while I take out the front two pieces and slide the sump in. Cutting the weir was kinda fun but kinda not haha.

Attachments

• IMG_9381.jpeg
    IMG_9381.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9388.jpeg
    IMG_9388.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9383.jpeg
    IMG_9383.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 21
We might have to add "tank mod guru" as Will @Turkeysammich 's official BOD title! Another reason why this club is so great. I couldn't imagine trying to do all that successfully off a BRS video.

Highly recommend maybe some sort of liner/vibration mat for the stand/sump to quiet it down and contain leaks. There's a few other builds here that went with that @Chrism1330

Well done so far!
I bought a yoga mat and placed it under the tank creates a nice cushion for the support of the weight

Back