Our mission

Any mechanics here? Smog Check Q?

I smogged my little mazda today, seems it's getting to the point of not passing for the next scheduled one.
The report part of the MAX AVG and MEA (Measured) shows under the NO (ppm) getting close to not passing; does anyone know what could cause such high numbers there? CO2 has increased but not too high.
It's a 94 Protege; I did change air, oil filters; PCV valve, all plugs, it does not smoke (burn oil or gas) I'm thinking on replacing the O sensor ( s ) but due to the age of the car I think it would be wise to get a new Cat. Converter.
The car was given to us by church friends, they bought brand new.

Thx in advance !!

Thanks; I'm suspicious of the timing belt being in need to be replaced, car has 150K Mi
I took it for the oil change on Tuesday and mechanic checked some issues, among oil leak from the valve cover (easy fix) but CV joint boots have to be replaced, total repairs needed would exceed $1000 plus it will need the Cat. Con.
Putting in what the little car is worth or more is not such a great idea.

O2 sensor and fuel filter can affect your a/f ratio. So replace the fuel filter if you haven't already. Easy to do, usually.

Track down other stuff that can lean out your mixture. Vacuum or intake leaks depending on if the high NOx is showing at idle or cruise.

If you're not showing a lot of hydrocarbons, and you're not getting any error codes, just keep the original cats.

Might be better off to replace your axle shafts instead of the CV boots. Lots of labor to disassemble, clean, repack bearings, and reinstall when replacing boots. And the boots and stuff isn't all that cheap.

I just picked up a couple new half shafts for a 2000 Maxima for $140 shipped from Rock Auto. Need to pull the old ones and install the replacements.

Timing belt at 150k is overdue for replacement if that engine is typical. But I'm not familiar with that one.

If the old belt is stretched, the cam timing is retarded. I don't know if that would show up in your emissions testing. If it did, I'd think the worn belt probably helps your NOx numbers due to shifting your power band higher in the rpms.

Seems timing belt was done properly @ 60 and 120K, I asked my friend at church.
I had a streak of having smog troubled vehicles and the expense to have them pass is ridiculous expensive for an old car.
A former boss gave my mom his Cadillac a while ago, since she does not drive I registered it under my name and at the smog time...
Gross Polluter (No wonder it was a gift) I will deal with the timing issue, think is just to set it up properly and the Cat should be due for replacement, after all, is a little old. The CV joints you are mere right; they have to come off to replace the boots (labor is the same or about) and the peace of mind. I will too take advise and replace fuel filter and check vac. hoses.

Thx

Back