Neptune Aquatics

Anyone have some coralline scrapings to spare?

I have a fairly new tank, no pest due to the dry rock I have used. But it also looks very sterile. I would like to seed it with some pink-ish coralline. I know there the coralline-in-the-bottle solutions out there but reviews are very mixed and shipping temperatures could kill it all before I get it. Also I am a bit skeptical about those products to start with! Does anyone have any clean scraping to spare? I am in the Brentwood area.

I can scrape some off my tank if you ever come to the Berkeley area. I agree - the coralline in a bottle did nothing for me. Picking up a snail with a coralline coated shell works too - it'll track that stuff all over the tank for you.

I can pull a few pieces of small rubble/large gravel out for you that is covered with coralline if you want it. I'm in Oakley.

I can scrape some off my tank if you ever come to the Berkeley area. I agree - the coralline in a bottle did nothing for me. Picking up a snail with a coralline coated shell works too - it'll track that stuff all over the tank for you.
How long did you put it in your tank?

I talked to a dozen people and the company before I bought mine. The concensus was it takes about 3 months at >78° before you see growth from spores.
Scrapings are mature coraline but has the side effect of potential pests.

How long did you put it in your tank?

I talked to a dozen people and the company before I bought mine. The concensus was it takes about 3 months at >78° before you see growth from spores.
Scrapings are mature coraline but has the side effect of potential pests.
The snail or bottled stuff?

If you want to skip the scrapings and go straight for reef rubble, hit me up. Extra gross rubble from my sump guaranteed to seed any tank with coralline and pods! :)

Bottled stuff
I put it in shortly after the end of the cycle. I'm just not convinced it really accelerated anything - I feel like normal (non "spore") coralline will manifest and grow either way around 3 months, provided you introduce it on a coral frag or something.

One warning on the bottled Coraline, at least the purple helix stuff also is bottled bacteria. So be prepared for a potential bacteria bloom if you go that route.

Ask me how I know.....

Back