Cali Kid Corals

Australian Stripey, Microcanthus joycae

Ayman

Supporting Member
Does anyone keep an Australian Stripey?

I'm curious about what people here might have to say about this fish is great for aptasia control—seen it at Aquatic Collection for 199.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 10.37.06 AM.png

Have two clients that have had great success. Doesn’t bio corals as far as I can tell. They do get big pretty quickly and want to eat a lot. I think they will be limited in some respects if you have small crevices etc they won’t be able to access

Aquatic collection has a couple of them in their coral displays, feed feedback from workers is that they don't bother corals. I did notice that they were fat. they said aptasia was eliminated from the systems from them. I am just curious why this is not as popular as the other aptasia-eating fish/etc. almost all places say they have great success.
Not enough supply of fish maybe?

From my research, they are great aptasia eaters when they are young but often begin to ignore aptasia as they mature. In adulthood they may not provide any utility.

It won't fully eliminate the aiptasia though unfortunately. All the fish controls are more of a management type of deal. They get big though, up to 6.3"

Aquatic collection has a couple of them in their coral displays, feed feedback from workers is that they don't bother corals. I did notice that they were fat. they said aptasia was eliminated from the systems from them. I am just curious why this is not as popular as the other aptasia-eating fish/etc. almost all places say they have great success.
Not enough supply of fish maybe?
I had not seen them until a year ago or so

It won't fully eliminate the aiptasia though unfortunately. All the fish controls are more of a management type of deal. They get big though, up to 6.3"
I think managing it is good enough hahaha. but at a price point of 200 it is still on the expensive side. even though over time trying all different methods of eliminating apatasia adds up to more then that.

I think managing it is good enough hahaha. but at a price point of 200 it is still on the expensive side. even though over time trying all different methods of eliminating apatasia adds up to more then that.

Aussie anything will always be a premium. They don't export cheap, they ship heavy, and shipping is not cheap.

We used to joke when receiving AU exports that the tide went out when they shipped.

If you want aiptasia control, peppermint shrimp from sbrc have always worked for me.

Have not heard of the fish but it does look cool.

I tried barganie and wrass ate them all. Couldnt catch him. Still cant. So i am leaning towards the Australian Stripey. This will also be a good way to try this fish out and will give updates on this thread.

I have 2 of these. I added them bought the same time as some berghia so I don't know 100 percent what ate my aiptasia. As mentioned they do grow fast. They have not eaten any coral as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Back