Cali Kid Corals

Bangai’s bred in my tank!

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Well,
Hopefully we are able to raise these guys. My son has been wanting to breed some sort of fish for a while. I got these Bangai’s about a year ago. Two paired up. Over the last few weeks we noticed the male’s mouth looked distended. My son got a pic where you can see the babies inside two days ago. Today we saw some fins sticking out. We isolated the mail and he spit out 6 babies. Still
Has some left. One died. We don’t have high hopes for successful rearing since we were not prepared for this. Got some different pods at Cal Kids and working on hatching brine shrimp now. Fingers crossed we might have some fish to sell off in the future. My son has big plans for making money. I don’t think he realizes the amount of effort and low likelihood of success.

Gerry

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3209.jpeg
    IMG_3209.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6471.jpeg
    IMG_6471.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3203.jpeg
    IMG_3203.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 61
He and I have been researching it. Lots of newly hatch brine shrimp for the first 2-3 weeks. I added a few types of pods today. We’ll see what happens.

G
If my maroons keep laying eggs one day I might try my hand at try to raise them. I saw many videos and it's alot of effort involved with the non live bearing types. They lay eggs literally one batch after another.

I made a fake urchin. They prefer hiding under the bag of ceramic filter beads. I have the tank set up with just a sponge filter and air pump. I am worried they will get suck into any other filter. As of this morning I still do not see any dead bodies. I finally returned the male to the display tank I don't think he has any fry left to expel.

Questions for everyone: Best way to enhance brine shrimp hatchlings? I read online from various people who have bred them that they recommend enhancing baby brine shrimp with selcon. Do I just soak them in it? Add it to their water and hope they ingest it? Add it to the phyto I feed the baby brine? No one describes specifically how they enhance them.

Gerry

Back