got ethical husbandry?

Bare Bottom Bio Filtration

Hi Everyone,
Looking to add more Bio filtration for my bare bottom setup, currently have about 60-70 lbs of live rock, total water volume is about 150g and looking to add more in the sum. What is everyone using and what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I’m starting to become a fan of the MaxSpect bio-bricks. Lots of surface area and doesn’t crumble like its competitors. And in a small 4x4x1 profile for easy mobility.
Randy u still use the siporax?
Where do u buy ur MaxSpect bio-bricks From? On Amazon they are expensive..

Randy u still use the siporax?

yeah. Still have them in all the tanks, but they do take up a good amount of room (or maybe it’s just that I use too much of them ;)). Plus, the larger 25mm rings are hard to come by in the US and I usually have to ship them from the UK.

yeah. Still have them in all the tanks, but they do take up a good amount of room (or maybe it’s just that I use too much of them ;)). Plus, the larger 25mm rings are hard to come by in the US and I usually have to ship them from the UK.
indeed I got mine from germany:))
Where do u buy your MaxSpect bio-bricks from? And which one do you like?

What’re the big media blocks called again?

The blocks are "MarinePure" brand. They are $50 a block and do crumble if you treat them roughly. I bought 4 off them from Big Al's when they were sold for quite a bit less than $50. Not sure why they were selling so cheap, but I bought some to try out. Two are in my QT tank, one is just in the back of my DT and one sits in my sump. Does it work? Well,as far as I can tell, all my amonnia and nitrites are all nitrates now, which is my curse for this tank. I actually bought the blocks to try and help with nitrates, but it's not enough by itself and probably just works the same as live rock. ie;great for ammonia and nitrites.

If the MaxSpect bio bricks are durable, then I'd say they are pretty good. The MarinePure is nice, but you can poke your finger into it and it crumbles...so a better deal to get the MaxSpect stuff.

V

Back