Jestersix

Belize?

Who's been diving in Belize? My wife and I are going down there in February (after the frag swap of course!) and I'm looking for recommendations from folks that have been down there before.

J

Don't know if this is too late but basing yourself out of Ambergris Key would serve you well. Bunch of drifts right out in front of town, and some longer trips down south. Jump into a small plane and island hop!! yeah!!

has anyone been to belize in september, or just sometime in the off season? My gf and I are looking to take a vacation in september and was thinking about going to Belize and staying in Ambergris Caye. Any tips on hotel, activities?

I've snorkeled in Belize off Ambergris Caye and it was beautiful. Calm as a lake, clear as far as you can see, tons of the usual sea fans and enormous brain corals, some wreck diving too. there is also the famous "blue hole" which I didn't see but heard is awesome. There isn't much to do there on Ambergris but eat, swim, and sleep. cocktails are good, especially one called a "panty ripper". it's a cool town though which has almost no vehicles and you can walk barefoot everywhere because they have people who clean the soft sand roads every day, and lots of hotels let you use their bikes or golfcarts (golfcarts are a main mode of transport!). The mangrove areas have crocodiles and manatee , and a day trip or days on the mainland in the jungly areas and ruins are cool too. I loved Belize. It's a little pricy there on Ambergris, but worth it.

Too late but ...

I dove the "Blue Hole" (132 ft! My deepest dive!) Very cool, but you gotta keep your head as it's technical (in terms of time). A good master is an asset.

As for accomodations, I paid a butt load and stayed in a crappy crappy place on Amergris Key. There is poverty everywhere, and stray mangy dogs roam the beaches. If you are an animal lover, I seriously suggest going to the local mega-pet mart and buying a bunch of flea/tick collars (like 20) and when you see a (non-dangerous!) dog on the beach, be a nice guy and strap a flea collar on him/her!

My accomodations were like some guys "condo" that he rented out, even the resort where my friends stayed (a couple) were kinda crappy, imho. And they stayed at the place that accomodated the show "Temptation Island". I just hope you guys have a good place to stay!

Diving was great though, of course!

I was single at the time and I don't think it was really that "single-y". I hate to say it, but I feel no need to return, except for the diving. I'd rather go to Cozumel.

V

Back