Cali Kid Corals

BioAdvanced (Bayer) coral dip questions

tribbitt

Supporting Member
Bayer has been rebranded as BioAdvanced for a while now. I'm a bit confused by a mention on a forum about "get this one not that one", and I've heard of some people having issues with the dip. Is that user error or is there a particular dip I should watch out for?

It looks to be quite cheap for what people claim it can do (red bugs, aefw (but not eggs), etc)
Or should I just get KCl? I'm ok with either option, as long as they're both comparably effective

Do i need gloves while using it?

I always use gloves whenever dipping corals. Bio Advanced soil and turf I believe is the one to use. I'll have to double check my bottle when I get home today. I have it in my aresenal of dips but don't particularly like using it because it makes your dip milky white and imo observation of the pests falling off the corals is an important aspect of the dip process. I always end up dipping again in coral rx after rinsing just so I can have this piece of mind.

I always use gloves whenever dipping corals. Bio Advanced soil and turf I believe is the one to use. I'll have to double check my bottle when I get home today. I have it in my aresenal of dips but don't particularly like using it because it makes your dip milky white and imo observation of the pests falling off the corals is an important aspect of the dip process. I always end up dipping again in coral rx after rinsing just so I can have this piece of mind.

This is why I don't like Bayer too. Seeing what comes off is critical, especially if you are battling something specific. KCl is so great - cheap, super safe (for humans and your coral both), and nice and clear.

You don't even need to rinse it off! Dip manufacturers hate it.

This is why I don't like Bayer too. Seeing what comes off is critical, especially if you are battling something specific. KCl is so great - cheap, super safe (for humans and your coral both), and nice and clear.

You don't even need to rinse it off! Dip manufacturers hate it.
In that case, is the stuff from Home Depot good enough? The big sacks that I think are meant for driveway de-icing

In that case, is the stuff from Home Depot good enough? The big sacks that I think are meant for driveway de-icing
I know people do use that. I don't need that much, so I buy this here:

It may not really matter, but seems like a product designed for human consumption has a better chance of being more pure. It still lasts forever. I think @Turkeysammich has a ton of this stuff though and would be happy to bring you a bag at the swap.

One of those bags can supply everyone at the frag swap with a ziploc full lol. I looked it up: it’s for use in water softeners. That must mean it’s clean right? lol

I saw someone mention it not being able to kill red parasitic copepods, has this been confirmed or disproven? I don’t think they had anything beyond anecdotal evidence but I just want to be sure

Yes potassium chloride. I will be bringing like 20 bags for our members. The driveway stuff is called heat. That’s for calcium. Heat is impure so don’t use that. I used it like 15 years ago. There is small traces of copper in it. Takes a long time for something bad to happen. Took me a while to figure it out

Yes potassium chloride. I will be bringing like 20 bags for our members. The driveway stuff is called heat. That’s for calcium. Heat is impure so don’t use that. I used it like 15 years ago. There is small traces of copper in it. Takes a long time for something bad to happen. Took me a while to figure it out
Sorry there’s a water softening one too, for tap water, that’s what I meant

Yes. That’s the one I use. Two different chemicals
Home depot water softening sacks are good?

How much will you be giving at the swap? If it’s more of a sample pack I’d be willing to pay for a slightly larger portion

I don’t need nor want 40lbs of potassium salts lol

Home depot water softening sacks are good?

How much will you be giving at the swap? If it’s more of a sample pack I’d be willing to pay for a slightly larger portion

I don’t need nor want 40lbs of potassium salts lol
Doesn’t matter to me. Little goes a long way with this dip. Even 1oz sample pack will last you a long time.

Back