Neptune Aquatics

Biocube 32 #3 frag tank build

MichaelB

Supporting Member
This is the start of biocube 32 #3 as stated in the title.

20240706_193210.jpg
20240706_193222.jpg

This tank was recieved in a trade for a im15 set up.

It came in excellent like new condition beyond the algae build up on the glass.

20240706_220750.jpg
20240706_220738.jpg

The tank was rinsed, cleaned, and scrubed down with distilled vinegar.
This process took around 3 hours leaving me exhusted after a full day of work.

20240706_222157.jpg

This young lady is already looking for fish to try hunting.

I'm currently uncertain of the direction this tank will take. The top possibilites are nem tank/zoa grow out or maybe a torch dominated mix reef tank.

The next steps are to most likely to add crush coral and get the cycle on this tank started. Which means I need alot of rodi or salt water. I plan add the live rock structure that was in the im15 to this tank.

It will take me a bit of time to match equipment to my main Biocube 32.

1.) I need to get 4-5 21 led 12 inch actinic bars for the light modification.

2.) I already have the heater and protein skimmer for this tank matching the other biocube32.

3.) I need to get a intank media basket to upgrade the stock media caddie that comes with this tank.

4.) I may possibly upgrade the existing return pump to a silent syncra 1.5 as I did in the other tank.

5.) I'm 100% unsure on live stock for this tank at present if any beyond clean up crew.

More updates to come as progress is made.

Last edited:
Adorable cat, many possibilities for this new tank!

Maybe one 32 is for SPS dominated, one LPS softies? That would make it so your SPS can get their flow without tearing up the tissue of the others :)

Adorable cat, many possibilities for this new tank!

Maybe one 32 is for SPS dominated, one LPS softies? That would make it so your SPS can get their flow without tearing up the tissue of the others :)
The 65 will be dedicated for sps. All the hammers/ torches I currently have about over half are still hanging out on frag racks on the tank glass.

I also pulled the toadstools outta my main 32.

I only left the fuji yellow leathers, yellow Sinularia, and my weeping willow in that tank.

I'll probably keep the toadstools in the old 29 grow out tank I have for now.

I've never owned a goni before so also a possibility for the new 32.

I'm Heavily leaning towards anemone though. Mostly nems with a few randoms lps or softies scattered in the mix. After seeing derek_SR magnific nem in his tank- I would even love to find a smaller one of them. Planning to keep rock work limited so they have room to really spread out.

The 2 mid size nems in the 32 are starting to make me nervous about them possibly walking on me one day.

With luck I maybe be able to get some higher end nems to propgate for future trades/ sale - to support the hobby.

Last edited:
Skip the nem, they move too much and are better suited to your smaller clown tanks (BTA wise). Your need way more room and light for a mag. One of the hardest to keep animals.

Didn’t see the part where you wanted a magnifica - yeahhhh, it’s a difficult animal. I’ve heard more failure stories than successes. Not impossible, just challenging. @derek_SR is just built different.
I get it, a guy has to dream however. Lets attach the label it to the future wish list foot notes lol.

I've never even seen one in person before at any store so should have been a clue. I was just thinking like a rbta just bigger without the bubbles. I see the difficulty now I looked it up.

Skip the nem, they move too much and are better suited to your smaller clown tanks (BTA wise). Your need way more room and light for a mag. One of the hardest to keep animals.

Thanks for heads up on the Mag didn't ever really research them so figured it was just another nem that got huge.

I get it, a guy has to dream however. Lets attach the label it to the future wish list foot notes lol.

I've never even seen one in person before at any store so should have been a clue. I was just thinking like a rbta just bigger without the bubbles. I see the difficulty now I looked it up.
They do look really really nice, especially with clowns swimming inside them… I saw a couple massive carpet anemones in Okinawa and saw dozens of baby clowns in them :)

So I cut a few sheets of acrylic. And drilled holes enough to cover my newest biocube 32 intended frag tank.

I planned 3 to 5 different racks verse just 1 or 2 larger ones. Figuing it's easier to remove and separate corals etc.

Three are roughly 10 inches x 4.5 inches. I also have two that are 5 inches × 4.5 inches.

I ordered 3. 3/4 inch x 12inch rods from Amazon and cut them using a dremel diamond cut off wheel. I found it slightly cheaper than going to tapsnand have them do it.

I cut them at 4 inch in length giving me 3 sets of legs with 4 inch clearance for fish to swim under them and space to mount a wave maker under the racks to keep detritus suspended off the bare bottom.

I plan take 1 of the 5x4.5 inch and 1 oglf the 10×4.5 inch ones and make them different heights. One very tall for sps frags, one shorter for lower light corals.

I have 4 more 10x10 acrylic sheets I will eventually drill out as well and possibly offer them as a trade to someone in the club as a future trade.

20240927_154515.jpg
20240927_154400.jpg
20240927_154430.jpg

@MarcosDelgado0
It wouldn't have been possible without your description and and imput. Not perfect. But I think they look great for something that wasn't a over prices online purchase.

So far I completed 1.i need to get one more order of legs and fuse the other 2 pair of legs to thw acrylic sheets.

I need to order the light bars to modified the hood as ive done in my main biocube32. Same skimmer and filtration as well. So they should be mirrors of each other not counting the wace makers, rock, or crushed coral. I will run biobmedia in the rear of the frag tank.

So I cut a few sheets of acrylic. And drilled holes enough to cover my newest biocube 32 intended frag tank.

I planned 3 to 5 different racks verse just 1 or 2 larger ones. Figuing it's easier to remove and separate corals etc.

Three are roughly 10 inches x 4.5 inches. I also have two that are 5 inches × 4.5 inches.

I ordered 3. 3/4 inch x 12inch rods from Amazon and cut them using a dremel diamond cut off wheel. I found it slightly cheaper than going to tapsnand have them do it.

I cut them at 4 inch in length giving me 3 sets of legs with 4 inch clearance for fish to swim under them and space to mount a wave maker under the racks to keep detritus suspended off the bare bottom.

I plan take 1 of the 5x4.5 inch and 1 oglf the 10×4.5 inch ones and make them different heights. One very tall for sps frags, one shorter for lower light corals.

I have 4 more 10x10 acrylic sheets I will eventually drill out as well and possibly offer them as a trade to someone in the club as a future trade.

View attachment 60944View attachment 60945View attachment 60946

@MarcosDelgado0
It wouldn't have been possible without your description and and imput. Not perfect. But I think they look great for something that wasn't a over prices online purchase.

So far I completed 1.i need to get one more order of legs and fuse the other 2 pair of legs to thw acrylic sheets.

I need to order the light bars to modified the hood as ive done in my main biocube32. Same skimmer and filtration as well. So they should be mirrors of each other not counting the wace makers, rock, or crushed coral. I will run biobmedia in the rear of the frag tank.
Dang those came out awesome!

Dang those came out awesome!
I used my cordless drill. So it took two days to drill the holes waiting for re charging. I drilled 3 like the picture, and 2 more half the size. Only used 2 acrylic sheets. I still have 3/4 more sheets.

The Corded drills I have would have been much faster but I took your advice and didn't wanna worry about cracking or chiping them.

I used my cordless drill. So it took two days to drill the holes waiting for re charging. I drilled 3 like the picture, and 2 more half the size. Only used 2 acrylic sheets. I still have 3/4 more sheets.

The Corded drills I have would have been much faster but I took your advice and didn't wanna worry about cracking or chiping them.
Oh yeah, good thing I have a few extra batteries on hand because to make the 6 10x10 sheets I went through like 4 batteries lol. Otherwise I would’ve had to stop and wait for it to charge before drilling again

Oh yeah, good thing I have a few extra batteries on hand because to make the 6 10x10 sheets I went through like 4 batteries lol. Otherwise I would’ve had to stop and wait for it to charge before drilling again
Lol, it charges in a hour to be fair most of the wait was me forgetting to do it.

Cool project! And I like your cat :) How many tanks do you have at this point?
4 saltwater tanks 3 currently running and 2 freshwater ones for the kids.

So far i think it's between @Raj Gill and @Woeday for possibly having the most tanks that I've personally seen.

Raj had like 7/8 saltwater ones last time I saw them.
Woeday geez I honestly lost count after #15.

Hopefully i don’t get in trouble for blasting out their information lmao.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this club has 30.

Do connected tanks with a shared sump count? I know Rich has a whole rack of tanks, plus a bunch (at least, at some point) in his ceph system, etc

People in this club are very, very dedicated

Do connected tanks with a shared sump count? I know Rich has a whole rack of tanks, plus a bunch (at least, at some point) in his ceph system, etc

People in this club are very, very dedicated
A tank is a tank even if you have a sump and are growing coral in it/fish. I would possibly count that as a another tank depending on the scale of it. Some people have legit reef lights over theirs and as much coral in them as in their display.

Back