Cali Kid Corals

BioCube 32 Rescue

SpaceCased

Supporting Member
This is my introductory Journal on this forum, go easy on me. ;)

While setting up and starting a 40/10 Tank I ended up impulse taking on a BioCube 32 that needed some extra attention. When it was received it had quite a bit of an algea problem. The Owner was incredibly knowledgable with Reefing and their tank but they just were not able to designate the time required at that given time. Therefore I took it over for them in an attempt to get some good practice in parameter stabilization.

Its Original Configuration:
  • Standard media basked (Removed)
  • BioBalls (Kept)
  • Standard Pumps (Removed)
  • UV Light (Removed)
  • Chiller (Removed)
  • External Filter (Removed)
  • WiFi Power Strip (Kept)

Livestock:
  • ClownFish
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Urchin
  • 2 Hermit Crabs
  • Red/Green Zoanthid
  • Orange/Green Zoanthids
One of the First things I started doing was trying to tackle the Algea. Scrubbing, Scraping, Brushing, Water Changing. I lost the Urchin in the Process. Found 15 Snail Shells within the sand.
I then went to Modifying it
  • Column Style Media Basket
    • Filter Floss
    • Chemi-Pure Blue
    • Chemi-Pure Elite
  • Column Style Refugium Basket
    • Chaeto
    • ChaetoMax 9W Light
    • Bio Balls
  • KPS WiFi Wave Maker
  • Nano USB Wave Maker
  • Jebao MDP-2500 DC Pump
  • Coralife Inline UV
  • Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152
  • Modified Fan within inside of BioCube LED hood for more CFM and better positioning.
  • InkBird Wifi ITC-308 (Temp Set to 77F with 1 degree allowance)
    • Heating: 300w Heater
    • Cooling: DiY Fan Installed on Back of BioCube Lid
During this process I took my water and salinity meter down with me to High Tide. I was on the money setting my water, my meter was unfortunately not. I believe I was in the 1.40s. This was where why we believed I lost the Urchin. Purchased new meter, went home and did a water change reduction with pure RO getting the salinity back in normal parameters.

Livestock Additions:
  • Bubble Tip Anemone
  • 2 Snails
Current Status:
Tank looks really healthy. So much better flow. Refugium is doing its thing. Algae is under control or absent. Filter Floss is actually working over stock thing. Chemi-Pure Blue and Elite doing there thing. Parameters have been constant. Weekly water changes till confidence tells me otherwise.

Ill Grab a better photo when my lights are on later today.

PXL_20241017_225502991.MP.jpg

Back