Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (any)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No/Warning

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

richiev

Supporting Member
I'm looking to get a tang. It'll start out in a frag tank (24x24x12), then end up in my new Reefer 500 (49x24x24). I'm all about captive bred fish, and given I'll start in a smaller tank I'm interested in a smaller tang. Hence biota's.

The recent buy thread had good chatter, and seems to echo some of the stuff I'm reading online. Particularly the propensity to get HLLE.

I'm curious what people's updated take is, and general experience.

Also I'm curious what the view of QT of these is. Given how brittle and small they seem to be, I imagine a chemical quarantine is worrisome.

CC @Matthew Meyer @under_water_ninja

I've bought 4 Biota yellow tangs directly from Biota and 3 from Violet Sea last year. All were small sized, translucent in color and some did have HLLE. It went away with daily feedings of nori and TDO. Still have 3 of them and they are bright yellow and you can't tell the difference vs a wild caught yellow tang. I do recommend keeping them in a smaller tank to grow out. I kept a few of them in my 25g for a few months before transferring them to my 90g.

I've talked to Jake at Biota and he said the yellow tangs are raised together in the same tank and are never mixed with other types of fishes. I've never QT any of them, but have had a few of them develop ich, but I assume ich was already present in my system. They all recovered.

Back