Cali Kid Corals

Blue-Green Chromis 14gal tank?

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Hello folks,
Would one single blue green chromis do well in a 13.5gal tank?

The clowns are extremely skittish, and so I want to add another free swimmer to give them some confidence.

Plus, I love the coloration on the chromis.

Other tank mates will be:
2x 1” ocellaris clowns
1x 2” Randall’s goby
1x 2” pistol shrimp
+ CUC and corals

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I’ve found with my clowns that they are their most comfortable now that they are alone in their own tank. I’m not sure that adding another fish will make them more confident, from my limited experience I would assume the opposite.
when I went from two clowns to two clowns and a blenny, the clowns secluded themselves in a smaller area instead of roaming the tank. Now that they are alone they have slowly become more spread out and willing to explore.
it may be best to wait until you go to a big tank and then you can get a group of chromis. If you still want to add a fish that will swim around the top maybe try a bangaii cardinal, but your tank sounds fully stocked already so again it may be worth waiting until you can provide the right environment.

I call this reefing roulette. The chromis will certainly be fine in that size tank but it all depends on how the clowns react to him(or any new fish). The unfortunate part is if the clowns decided that’s a no go the amount of space usually patrolled by them is definitely greater than the evo. If it were me I would do it but watch the tank religiously and have a small holding tank for the new fish on standby if you have to intervene.

Thanks @max_nano and @The_Lazy_Reefer !
I will probably get one, and keep it in a breeder box for a couple of hours so the clowns can smell it before releasing it into the tank.

I will monitor the tank closely, and if I see any aggression, I will give it away on here. I'm sure someone will take it :)

Thanks @max_nano and @The_Lazy_Reefer !
I will probably get one, and keep it in a breeder box for a couple of hours so the clowns can smell it before releasing it into the tank.

I will monitor the tank closely, and if I see any aggression, I will give it away on here. I'm sure someone will take it :)
Since you made your own frag rack, Will you make your own breeder box? the one I have is all flat pieces of acrylic that must have been laser cut or milled and they just came together with elastic bands.

Since you made your own frag rack, Will you make your own breeder box? the one I have is all flat pieces of acrylic that must have been laser cut or milled and they just came together with elastic bands.
Haha yeah it’s a simple 3D printed box actually :)

Byproduct of printing tiny parts in a huge SLS machine.

Back