Kessil

BlueSallymandr's 40 gallon AIO tank

BlueSallymandr

Supporting Member
I’m starting a tank journal for my new 40 gallon tank, which is an upgrade from my 16 gallon BioCube that got me into the hobby. Thank you so much to the club members who helped me pick out equipment for this setup earlier!

Current equipment:

IM 40 gallon AIO tank
Reefi Uno Pro 2.1 light with 3D printed shade
100W Eheim JAGER Aquarium Heater (x2)
INKBIRD Temperature Controller ITC-306T Series
Natural sea water

Next I will add an ATO and protein skimmer. I just got the equipment but I’m holding off because I redid the epoxy on the live rock, and I read that it’s best to shut off the protein skimmer for a while after that. (Also I had to evacuate my home because of a nearby fire this weekend, which really cut into my tank time).

I took apart the mesh lid that came with the AIO, replaced the ¼” mesh with 1/8” mesh since I’m keeping small fish, and reassembled it. It doesn’t look too bad of a job, haha. Could be better.

20241012_100844.jpg

Pictured here: my cat who didn’t help me assemble anything.

20241009_183503.jpg

Aquascaping:

About half are freshly purchased dry rock, and half are live rock reused from my old tank. My previously epoxied rocks broke apart when I was moving them, so I just sort of stacked them as best I could. I got some reef epoxy that cures underwater later, and redid the aquascape. Now it looks the way I wanted, but the difference between the old and the new rocks is so glaring. I’m hoping the colors will balance out in the end.

Speaking of color balance, I’m not sure I’m happy with the light’s spectrum. I might play around with it a bit and get it closer to natural daylight. I know my phone’s camera is not loving these lights! My photos are turning out terribly.

20241019_171940.jpg

20241021_185658.jpg

Current livestock:

I moved everything over from my smaller tank, but unfortunately I had two losses. I think I must have acclimated them improperly to the new water, plus my firefish had been going downhill since it spent well over a week in the pump chamber before I found it.

Royal gramma
Yasha goby/Randall’s pistol shrimp (these two found each other immediately in the new tank)
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Tuxedo urchin
Pompom crab
Snails (trochus, cerith, nassarius)

Corals! I forgot about the corals. I am trying to keep a mix of softies and LPS corals in this tank. I moved over some assorted mushrooms, a Nepthea tree, a weeping willow toadstool, a Gorgonian, a finger leather, some very sad fireworks clove polyps, a favia, and a candy cane coral. All are still pretty small, and I'm hoping they grow out more.

At the frag swap, I picked up the following frags:
-Tequila sunrise mushroom @t0mmy108
-Gorgonian @Apon
-Pipe organ @musclebenz
-Spicy lemon favia @FooFtr

They are doing good so far but I'm not going to lie, my photography skills suck and all my pics of them are coming out badly.

nice to meet you at the swap registration table. since you like nano fish, would you be interested in 2 red spotted cardinal fish? i'd like to rehome them and get more damsels.

Back