High Tide Aquatics

Bozy the emaciated Blue Clown Goby

richiev

Supporting Member
This thread is tracking the journey of Bozy, the emaciated Blue Clown Goby that I picked up last weekend off FB marketplace. I was making a deal with a guy for a Seachem Tidal with a Rose BTA thrown in free. I noticed he was also trying to get rid of a Blue Damsel and Blue Clown Goby, so I said I'd take those too since I was interested in putting a Damsel in my frag tank.

Well, long story short, for $30 I ended up with the two fish, anemone, Tidal, and some more red algae (possibly red ogo, but I'm not sure it is). The Damsel turned out to be a Half Blue Damsel and I'm very happy with him. Relatively friendly and very cool looking. The anemone is small, but acclimated very well and yesterday got released from his breeder box to figure out where he wants to live in my rock. Hopefully he stays in the spot he's currently in, because it's almost perfect.

But that brings us to Boz. Boz is very emaciated. I subtly asked the guy what he's been feeding him, and he said mysis and flakes. From what I've seen so far, this fish won't eat any mysis, and obviously was not eating well.

PXL_20220223_201254725.jpg

He also won't eat small pellets, nor even Calanus. For all of them he sucks it in voraciously, and then spits it out eventually. It seems like he can't get it down. My understanding is some of these fish may just want to eat acropora polyps, but I think the fact that he's trying to eat the other stuff is a good sign.

Luckily I also have a bunch of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs frozen, and I gave that a try. He does eat those, and keeps most of them down.

So that's my current project fish. I'm not willing to put him in with acros and try and see if he'll devour those, but work from home does mean I can feed him many times a day a ton of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. Luckily the tank he's in just has him and the damsel, and a bunch of rock, so I'm not concerned with water quality.

After a week he seems to be looking slightly better, but I'm assuming they overall chances of a full recovery are slim. I did however today get him to eat a selcon soaked mysis, which I think he kept mostly down. My going forward strategy will still be focused on getting him to eat as much decapsulated brine eggs as possible, and I'll keep testing a couple mysis.

I also considered pulling him and putting him in medication to make sure it's not an internal parasite, but I don't really have the space/equipment/time for that at that moment, and I feel stressing him more seems like a questionable idea.

I'm interested in any tips anyone has. I wouldn't normally have taken a fish in this condition, but I was willing to see what I could do given the price and given her was certainly going to die in his previous situation.

Low quality pic from a week later:
PXL_20220227_170446723.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics, but he's looking way better a week or two later. He still is skinnier than he should be, but now he's just a skinny clown goby not an almost dead one.

PXL_20220304_200027914.jpg

PXL_20220304_200058237.jpg

The main feed is still decapsulated brine, but he will eat smaller pieces of mysis, and try and eat full pieces of the small mysis. He also does seem to try and eat pellets that are crushed, but the brine is still the go to.

I'm also now highly confident he's a black clown goby not a blue one.

I'm honestly not really sure what I'm going to do with this fish after I get it plumper. He'll probably just hang out in this isolation tank forever, unless I offer him up to the club or take him to the LFS. He's a cool fish in terms of personality, but I wouldn't put him in my main tank and if I hadn't gm rescued/gotten him basically free I wouldn't have a clown goby. But we'll see. Maybe I'll get him a clown goby pal.

One thing that's nice is he doesn't care at all when the damsel I put back in there tries to bug him. His protective slime coat seems to prevent the damsel from actually nipping at him, and he doesn't react at all the few times I've seen the damsel swim at him

Back