Jestersix

Bugs identification .. help ( not reef/fish related)

newfly

Supporting Member
Folks

Every year around this time August-Sep , the whole family is bitten by some sort of bugs especially at night. We get professional pest control guy come over a couple times but nothing. The bites stop after a couple of months. It’s seasonal. This have been going on for a few years.

Finally, I caught one of these buggers. See attached picture taken with 25x magnification.

Is this a flea? What the hell am I dealing with ?

Not bed bugs for sure (phew).

Attachments

• BC3E7956-658B-4E7F-971B-FDD03A5C9CDF.jpeg
    BC3E7956-658B-4E7F-971B-FDD03A5C9CDF.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 130
Do you have pets? Generally fleas will come in on the animals (we always have to treat the cats in the summer time or else people get bit). With fleas, you can be sure if you have them by giving your cat/dog a soapy bath. That'll kill some of the fleas and you can see them floating in the water or on the fur. They are usually dark and really skinny. If it's a substantial infection you can see live ones on the fur.

Do you have pets? Generally fleas will come in on the animals (we always have to treat the cats in the summer time or else people get bit). With fleas, you can be sure if you have them by giving your cat/dog a soapy bath. That'll kill some of the fleas and you can see them floating in the water or on the fur. They are usually dark and really skinny. If it's a substantial infection you can see live ones on the fur.
No pets if you exclude the tank!

Hmm, I suggest buying some flea traps setting them up near where you're getting bit just to confirm you don't have fleas. And maybe some generic insect traps too. The pic doesn't quite look like a flea. Potentially a larva of some bug that bites?

Folks

Every year around this time August-Sep , the whole family is bitten by some sort of bugs especially at night. We get professional pest control guy come over a couple times but nothing. The bites stop after a couple of months. It’s seasonal. This have been going on for a few years.

Finally, I caught one of these buggers. See attached picture taken with 25x magnification.

Is this a flea? What the hell am I dealing with ?

Not bed bugs for sure (phew).
Where do you live and what's the time of year they bite you in?

Inside. Mostly in the bedroom while we were sleeping. I have turn the room , mattress and all inside out and no sign of any bugs .

Finally found a live flea. Since I know what I’m dealing with, I am hopeful I can win the battle.

Ordered my battle supply- Foggers, spray, diatomaceous powder. Anything else I missed? Wish me luck!

I can fog the bedroom, but can’t do that in the living room since the tank is there.

From what I read, flea cannot reproduce without furry animals. That explained why the bites are seasonal.

Back