Kessil

California AB3162 Octopus: aquaculture: sale: prohibition.

PjFish

Supporting Member
Octo bill getting closer! I believe Wa already passed a similar bill..

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
Right! So all grocery / restaurants will have to import wild caught octos ? Unless theirs a loop somewhere! Think around 80% of the salmon our country consumes is farm raised in nets and is not clean pumped full of nasty antibiotics! But guess you can say that about alot of the major beef/pork/chicken ranches as well..
Wonder if the Politician who brought up the bill watched that movie “ My Octopus Teacher” and fell in love ! They are adorable having a pet smarter then my dog and is a music lover oh boy!

I’m conflicted. I’d be in support of banning the sale of octopus for eating in CA, like how we can’t eat dogs (or people), but that would never pass. I don’t see how preventing aquaculture but allowing wild catch helps wild stock, unless that’s not the point and they are saying the aquaculture itself is cruel to the animal (which it absolutely may be given their intelligence). The same argument could be made for pigs, which are similarly intelligent and pretty terribly mistreated on factory farms, but now I’m probably losing credibility with everyone who just started thinking about bacon or ham…

I’m conflicted. I’d be in support of banning the sale of octopus for eating in CA, like how we can’t eat dogs (or people), but that would never pass. I don’t see how preventing aquaculture but allowing wild catch helps wild stock, unless that’s not the point and they are saying the aquaculture itself is cruel to the animal (which it absolutely may be given their intelligence). The same argument could be made for pigs, which are similarly intelligent and pretty terribly mistreated on factory farms, but now I’m probably losing credibility with everyone who just started thinking about bacon or ham…
I’m with you. If we start with octopus , then what’s next? Pigs, cows, chickens etc . My wife will loves the family going vegetarian but I’m not ready give up meat yet.

Instead, I’m all for tighter regulation on any livestock farming instead of outright ban.

Next thing when they find out that planets have signs of intelligent, vegans are going crazy because they will have nothing left to eat.

I am vegetarian. So no issue with your train of thought :).

Reactions: JVU
I’m conflicted. I’d be in support of banning the sale of octopus for eating in CA, like how we can’t eat dogs (or people), but that would never pass. I don’t see how preventing aquaculture but allowing wild catch helps wild stock, unless that’s not the point and they are saying the aquaculture itself is cruel to the animal (which it absolutely may be given their intelligence).
The same argument could be made for pigs, which are similarly intelligent and pretty terribly mistreated on factory farms, but now I’m probably losing credibility with everyone who just started thinking about bacon or ham…
As I understand it, there isn't commercial octopus food fishing in CA, so almost all octopus for consumption in CA is imported.
There seem to be two prongs to the bill. The first, the one I don't like at all, is about octopus intelligence which is laughable, as you point out we have no problem abusing pigs (demonstrably more intelligent than octopus) becaue, ummm, bacon. The second, is about ocean farming being bad for the enfiornment, which it really kinda is. I am fine with the second reason, not so fine with the first.

Back