Reef nutrition

Cleaning Dry rock?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I have a lot of dry rock sitting in my backyard in a storage bin that wasn't covered. I want to use some of the rocks in my tank, should I try to do anything specific to clean my rocks? I just thought about this because it rained yesterday.

TIA!

A bleach helps get any dead organics off.

A muriatic acid bath gets an outer layer of rock off, theoretically getting rid of any absorbed phosphates, but will remove some rock.

An acid bath immediately after a bleach treatment generates chlorine gas which additionally kills any other animals, including humans, who breath it.

A soaking in saltwater, even room temperature, lets bacteria do the dissolving of organics, and removes the need for a cycle in tank.

The complete treatment then is:
* Bleach soak, with power head
* Major rinse, possibly redry, dump all water and refill
* Run through muriatic acid, outside, in a ventilated area that is not going to blow into houses
* Baking soda tossed in the water to neutralize the acid
* Dump, rinse
* Saltwater cook with your choice of bacteria sources and/or pods & phyto to get it full of life

Skip steps based on how willing you are to mess with it, and your goals.

It will depend on how much you plan to use. 10 lbs of fairly clean rinsed rock in a 200 gallon system isn’t gonna do much to nutrients in an established system.

Back