got ethical husbandry?

Clownfish with a puzzle piece pattern

richiev

Supporting Member
Does anyone know if there's any special name for clowns that look like this?

1724643542072.png

This specific pic is a black ice clownfish, but that name seems to have all sorts of different variations.

Years ago when I was getting back into the hobby, I saw one very similar to this at Neptune ( @robert4025 ). I was still getting my tank setup, so I didn't pick it up. I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went back the next day and it was gone. To this day it's the one that got away. One with the clownfish style, white line, orange, black border on white, and with the white shape looking like a jigsaw puzzle piece.

When I was out on vacation months back my mochavinci died, and I want to find a new partner for my davinci. I'm hoping I can track down one of these. Bonus points if quarantined. By default I'd need a smaller one, so it can be the male and my davinci will be the female, but potentially if I could find a pair I'd replace my davinci.

Thanks!

That looks like a snowflake clownfish .
Does anyone know if there's any special name for clowns that look like this?

Thanks!

It’s actually a black ice snowflake clownfish. Here’s the youtube video as the image you have is their thumbnail in reverse. Algaebarn has this exact designer.

I absolutely support all the variations, and the breeders out there (how great we have a nice, popular, fish that's captive bred). I'm still a fan of the clowns that look like a semblance of Nemo :).

20240831_221811.jpg
20240831_221841.jpg
20240831_221917.jpg
20240831_221920.jpg

This is the second pair I have, very healthy yet I'm not attached to them at all unlike my maroons if might be intrested.

I was informed they were Black Ice clowns when I got them. They have none of the scattered black spots just orange and black stripes.

I've had them well over 7months.

Last edited:
View attachment 59970View attachment 59971View attachment 59972View attachment 59973

This is the second pair I have, very healthy yet I'm not attached to them at all unlike my maroons if might be intrested.

I was informed they were Black Ice clowns when I got them. They have none of the scattered black spots just orange and black stripes.

I've had them well over 7months.
Those look like nice ones, very close to what I'm looking for. The thinner line and more direct jigsaw puzzle piece shape is the thing I'm holding out for.

Those look like nice ones, very close to what I'm looking for. The thinner line and more direct jigsaw puzzle piece shape is the thing I'm holding out for.
All good, if you change your mind I'd let em go for cheap $60 for the pair
or trade for a hammer or dry goods etc.

I'm kinda wanting either golden nugget maroons, clarkiis or possibly the saddle back varriant. Basically the mean and larger clowns.

You’ll need to keep an eye out on sites that offer wysiwyg clownfishes. Easiest way is to join FB groups that have clownfish breeders and find one that breeds black ice clownfishes. The breeder will have hundreds they can choose from to see if they have that jigsaw pattern you are looking for.

Here are a few sites.
eBay: Search for clownfishes

Wholesale only. Ask your LFS to order them for you.

Last edited:
Back