Kessil

Coming back to the hobby after 3 years break.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael. I recently moved to Union City and I am going to start a reef tank again after a couple of years break. I still consider myself a newbie since last time I only kept softies and LPS in a 60 gallon tank for 2-3 years before quitting because I couldn't spend enough time maintaining the tank. Right now, I am in the planning phase. I would need a custom aquarium since the space we are going to put the tank is ~42x26. I am thinking of getting 40x24x24 aquarium. what do you guys think of this size? In the past I have always kept standard rectangle aquarium and never gave a second thought about dimensions.

Also I am wondering whether you guys know any acrylic aquarium makers and aquarium stand makers that I can contact. Right now the only local aquarium maker I know is Truvu. I appreciate your inputs and comments.

Welcome. One of our sponsors, Kritter Products makes high quality acrylic tanks. He's over on the Peninsula. I highly recommend them.

Kritter built my sump. It's a beaut! Welcome back..........I think the dimensions of your tank would work nicely. Give you a nice area to aquascape. Lighting may be difficult due to the odd size, but I can think of many lights that would work well, so prolly not much of an issue.

I had my stand built by a guy that Robert at Neptune aquatics uses. I think the price was reasonable and the stand is beautiful! Very happy with it. I am sure there are others out there as well, hopefully someone else can give you some idea's.

What kind of tank are you gonna do? Gonna put a sump on it? Good luck, and have fun!

Thank you, guys, I will definitely check out Kritter Products.

Hi Kris,
For lighting, I am thinking about going with Kessil A350 LED light. From what I have read, one may be enough to cover the whole tank. Any comment on the light, if you guys have experience with it?

The tank will be mainly SPS with a few stony and softies. But I am kind of scared that I will mess it up since I have never done SPS before. I need to read a lot more about dosing. Display tank will have two tanks connected to it, one for water changing purpose (disconnect when time to water change) and a refugium.

Welcome back to the hobby! If you're looking to score some solid, good, used equipment from some of our members, it may be advisable to splurge on the BAR membership for $30 to get you access to the B/S/T forum. Also, we have a DBTC program that you can participate in as well. :)

I think you may be able to run one A350 on your tank but I think the edges may be shadowed. Keep in mind, I don't have any personal experience with the Kessil's but that's just my best educated guess based on what I know about them.

I think two a350 would be more appropriate. Maybe one a350w if you are ok with simmer sides. So look at the aqua illumination sol and vega. Two of them would work great.

Welcome back to the hobby!

As it so happens...I have a custom 75 gallon acrylic tank in storage (I upgraded to a 175 gallon in Sept 2012). I also have the custom stand and a PS300 sump - all from TruVu.

I only mention this here because the dimensions of my tank fit what you seek - 36x24x20. I have often been complimented on the shape of the tank. It is in very good condition. If you are interested, I am happy to provide more info.

Dennis

I agree with Mike..........2 Kessils or 2 AI's. The Maxspect Razor might work as well.

Bump for Dennis' tank.........it's pretty sweet.

Hello Denis,

I am interested in taking a look at your tank. If you have any pictures of the tank, please email them to me at michaelsmyint@gmail.com with the price that you would want to let it go for. (for now I can' t pm since I am still not a member, but i will be joining the BAR membership very soon). Thanks.

reefer333 said:
Hi Mark (rypg)

Where in Union City are you at? I am near Union City Blvd and Dyer St. It is very nice to have another reefer close by. :)
Cool, almost walkable distance!
I am near Union City Blvd and Rocklin, near Eastin Elementary.
Let me know if you need some help setting up. I am no expert, but happy to help.

Thanks, Mark. I might take you up on your offer once I start. I saw your build thread. Really impressive since you pretty much did everything yourself. I am not very handy with plumbing and building.. well pretty much everything. :)

Back