High Tide Aquatics

Cuprisorb running all the time?

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Does anyone run Cuprisorb all the time on their tanks?

My LFS has copper in their fish systems so they recommend (and I do) pour the fish and water through a net into a bucket, then add the fish from the net into the tank.

If I do this enough times, the copper in the water may build up over time. I read that Cuprisorb absorbs faster than carbon, making me think that running carbon should pull out the copper eventually as I am not adding fish all the time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A lot of life requires copper, so personally I wouldn't - I don't want to bottom it out completely. Maybe run it after a lot of new fish / possible copper contamination?

Off topic - how’s the LFS scene in Vegas?
It's pretty good, there is my favorite that is close, and one more close one that isn't bad, then there might be one or two good ones further away, but I'm happy with my close one. They have good looking fish and use copper and some quarantine to get healthier fish out.

What I would do is dump bag water until low, wear a glove, pour rest of water out through hand to attempt to catch fish, fish in hand to second bucket with some saltwater in it, repeat into tank after letting it chill out for a bit.

I avoid the nets if possible to try and avoid catching a gill or spike or fin in the mesh. I also do the pouring over the bucket so that when I screw up and drop the fish it ends up in water versus directly on the floor... I wonder if a smooth towel actually would be better for this.

At least these are the things I do when I deal with copper fish. I also acclimate for a bit. Either cups of water, but even better I bought a very cheap $20ish standalone peristaltic pump. I use that to get a constant drip/stream without having to mess around with drip lines that always fall out and stop dripping or flood my floor. I do that because though I think it's ok to quickly remove a fish from copper, I think it's common for places running copper to be running reduced salinity too, and I don't want to change all the things fast.

INTLLAB DIY Peristaltic Liquid Pump Dosing Pump for Aquarium Lab Analytical https://a.co/d/5sfgauU

Or even better buy the 2 head style and you can simultaneously pull water out into a second bucket while adding water. Just make sure to keep the line removing water high so it can't accidentally pull all the water out if the fill line stops.

Gikfun DC 12V Adjustable Peristaltic Liquid Pump,Dosing Pump,Hose Pump,Dosing Head, 8-70 ml/min with Adapter for Chemicals, Liquids, Aquarium Lab Analytical EK1971 https://a.co/d/heqXSc6

Does anyone run Cuprisorb all the time on their tanks?

My LFS has copper in their fish systems so they recommend (and I do) pour the fish and water through a net into a bucket, then add the fish from the net into the tank.

If I do this enough times, the copper in the water may build up over time. I read that Cuprisorb absorbs faster than carbon, making me think that running carbon should pull out the copper eventually as I am not adding fish all the time.

Thoughts?
I *think* they mentioned they use it at the Steinhart constantly (someone double check me on this).

Copper seems to be part of the stony coral skeleton (Fossa/Nilsen) so I would not run something permanently to remove this unless it has other benefits (i.e., GAC), or you actually have a proven copper issue. Since I re-started using GAC, my copper levels dropped to being undetectable in all ICPs.

If Steinhart does, I assume they have a constant source which requires them to keep water levels in balance. The issues public aquariums have seem to be (very!) different from home aquaria and replicating their practices at home might have a very different effect. Still fascinating though :), specifically the issues they have with flow.

About 3 years ago I had heavy metals. Ran it in my system in a net bag in front of my skimmer outlet. Approximately 6 months. I didn’t notice anything. It probably did its job then just saturated itself. Eventually threw it away.
When I set up the new aquarium. I had heavy metals again. Did the same thing. It’s been in my sump since may. Dunno if it’s fully saturated but it’s still there. Everything is fine.
I guess the question is , how are you going to use it. Are you going to stay on top of it constantly. Or be like me and just leave it there.
I was talking to Erin @Kensington Reefer about Iit. Since he’s got a lot of knowledge. He was saying it’s a good thing to run it thru once in a while just to clean up stuff.

Last edited:
Back