Kessil

DIY Frozen Food where do you source yours?

DaddyHook

Supporting Member
For those of you that make your own frozen food.

Where are you guys preferred markets?

What are you purchasing?

How much are you purchasing?

How do you process/mix it?

How long does it last?

Tank sizes and fish/reef bio load?

I appreciate any feed back.

This what I do. I’ve done it for years. Dunno if it’s right or wrong but it works for me. I always make 2 different types. One all meat and one meat and veggies. Second one is more on the veggies side.

Where are you guys preferred markets? Asian markets. Usually in LA because it’s cheaper there. All uncooked, I look for meats where the fish come from indo- pacific, Asia, etc.

What are you purchasing? Clams, squid,fish,shrimps, salmon,,krill,etc. anything that’s on sale.

How much are you purchasing? About 50-60 dollars worth. You get a lot

How do you process/mix it? Food processor

How long does it last? About a year

Tank sizes and fish/reef bio load? About 30-60 fish

I thaw , rinse, rinse, squeeze, rinse, rinse , this will reduce the phosphates some.

Then when mixing, dollar store party trays, I add, roe,red, purple, green seaweed, flake food, pellets, reef roids, whatever else I have extra.
Then into dollar store zip locks. The big ones. I get about 10-15 packages. Oh don’t make them too thick or it will be hard to break them when frozen

Here is my recipe. I spend about $60 on seafood every time. The dry ingredients come in large containers so I can use them multiple times so maybe cost a few bucks each time. I get my seafood from Ranch 99 and buy a bag of frozen scallops, mussels and clams but the Shrimp and fish filets are fresh. All seafood is rinsed in RO/ DI. I chop all off the seafood and vegetables in a food processor 1 by 1 and add them all to a big bowl. Flake & pellet foods, powdered additives, vitamins& coral foods are then all mixed in. I add RO/ DI to get the consistency right to pack it into mini ice cube trays and then freeze it Each batch last me about 6 months or so. Feeding 19 fish in a 180g.

*Fish Filet- I use a white saltwater fish meat

*Shrimp

*Scallops

*Mussels

*Clams

*Nori

*Brine Shrimp

*Mysiss Shrimp

*Krill

*Vitamins - Liquid or dry

*Coral Food - I use Reef Roids

*Flake food