Our mission

DIY nano chiller?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
Hey, all,

Has anyone made themselves a thermoelectric nano chiller and have a recommended build?

I've seen a few designs online, but - since I'm already going to be making myself a DIY temperature controller (since I'll be able to repurpose it for homebrewing when I inevitably upgrade) - I figured I'd try my hand at one of these.

As Mario said, the Ice Probe is the one commercial product fitting that niche, but is only effective on very small tanks. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to scale up a thermoelectric device for this. I’m interested to see what DIY solution you come up with, so I’m tagging along.

They would have like a big cooper coil that would go in the sump. I don’t really know how they worked. Maybe they had refrigerant runnin Through the coil. Was before my reefi g time mostly.

I think Mike is talking about having the heat transfer coils in the sump, with an otherwise traditional chiller.

Thermoelectric heat transfer is fundamentally different physics and more efficient, but harder to scale up (and more expensive hardware).

They would have like a big cooper coil that would go in the sump. I don’t really know how they worked. Maybe they had refrigerant runnin Through the coil. Was before my reefi g time mostly.

Ah; yeah, an immersion chiller. It's weird to me how much crosstalk there is between homebrewing stuff and reefing. You could get away with ice water or something similar, but that'd be a little more maintenance than what I'm going for.

As Mario said, the Ice Probe is the one commercial product fitting that niche, but is only effective on very small tanks. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to scale up a thermoelectric device for this. I’m interested to see what DIY solution you come up with, so I’m tagging along.

Yeah; I may just try to DIY that chiller, since it seems like the design I was going for. Could probably use a CPU heatsink coupled with a thermoelectric chiller and a powerful fan, but I'd have to give some thought about what to use for the probe since I'm assuming stainless steel would be a bad idea to leave in a reef tank long-term.

Also @JVU , I'll post my DIY temperature controller with an STC-1000 when I get around to building this thing.

Tidal gardens did an immersion setup for their farm with a heating and cooling system running hot/cold water through a mess of pipes coiled in their sumps. I wonder if anyone uses geothermal to cool their tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidal gardens did an immersion setup for their farm with a heating and cooling system running hot/cold water through a mess of pipes coiled in their sumps. I wonder if anyone uses geothermal to cool their tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There definitely was a place in Florida awhile back using geothermal for sure.

Back