Kessil

Dosing recommendation

Ayman

Supporting Member
Hi All

I am looking to start dosing.
what do people dose and what is the most trusted method?

I have been doing all for reef but it is unstable.

Thanks

Hi All

I am looking to start dosing.
what do people dose and what is the most trusted method?

I have been doing all for reef but it is unstable.

Thanks

What are you trying to accomplish and what do you mean that all for reef is unstable?

I use it myself and find it quite reliable so curious to what problems are you seeing with it.

I dose all for reef, trace elements (I need more due to carbon dosing, bacto balance (carbon dosing)

I also have dosers for my kalk stirrer and my automated refrigerator with liquid foods.

I do kalk water and water changes, pretty much covers my needs for now. Occasionally I'll add a couple shots of trace elements by Tropic Marin, but I haven't the past couple months while away and it hasn't made a difference.

“Most trusted” is not something everyone agrees on. People trust what has worked well for them, and all of the major methods can work well for people.

For me, the easiest and most reliable is dosing with a 2-part (or 3-part or 4-part) system. You just dose based on alkalinity consumption, and the amount to add of the others is linearly based on the alk dose. You need a doser. The most basic of these with a very long track record is B-Ionic. I used it successfully for a long time. Several years ago I switched to Triton Core7, which was initially a 4-part, then 3-part, and now there’s a 2-part option with same additives, just combined. There are DIY options promoted by BRS and Randy Holmes Farley that work well for people.

The other way I’ve found to be good is Kalkwasser (Calcium hydroxide) dosing. Must use a doser. A little riskier. I currently use kalk up to my evaporation amount, and Core7 for the rest.

People also say good things about All For Reef and calcium reactors. I had 1 very negative experience with AFR, but for low consumption systems I think it’s good.

Last edited:
I recently watched this and it was informative. It is focused as a Tropic Marin showcase, but they do touch on some important information that I found easy to digest.

I am currently using Kalkwasser but considering a 3 or 4 part system for future needs.

I believe I had already mentioned to you that I am using Fauna Marin’s Balling light. You need two dosing pumps for this, and should do ICPs in the beginning to control. Otherwise, it is as simple as it can be, and not expensive at all IMO.

Back